GK POWER CAPSULE FOR IBPS AND RRB OCTOBER 2013-2014
Current Affairs and GK Capsule for IBPS RRBs Exam
1. BANKING NEWS:
Current RBI Rates
a. CRR – 4% b. SLR – 23%
c. Repo Rate – 7.25% d. Reverse Repo– 6.25%
e. MSF– 10.25% f. Bank Rate – 10.25%
Important Fact and news of RBI:
1. RBI has launched a website explaining ways to detect counterfeit notes with a tagline 'Pehchano Paise Ki Boli, Kyunki Paisa
2. R.B.I. directed Banks to follow Clean Note Policy.
3. RBI started Plastic Money Project on Trial Basis in 5 cities of India with the denomination of 10 rupees and will continue with
other small denominations depending upon the success of these notes.
4. The Union Government and RBI on 12 March 2013 decided to introduce one billion pieces of 10 Rupees bank notes made of
plastic on a field trial basis in five cities of Kochi, Mysore, Jaipur, Bhubhaneswar and Shimla.
5. RBI guide lines for the clearance of all the cheques is 2 days.
6. RBI hiked the investment limit in government securities by FIIs and long-term investors $25 billion from $20 billion and in
corporate bonds $50 billion from $45 billion.
7. Under the 'Basic Savings Bank Deposit Account (BSBDA) scheme, any individual, including poor or those from weaker section
of the society, can open zero balance account in any bank (including foreign banks).
8. RBI permitted the premature encashment of 8% savings (Taxable) Bonds for individual investors who are 60 years and above
9. RBI issued norms for currency swap window for fresh foreign
currency non-resident bank- FCNR(B) deposits mobilized for
a minimum tenor of 3 years.
10. RBI allowed the Non-Resident Investors including NRIs to buy
Shares under FDI Scheme. Till now, the FIIs (Foreign
Institutional Investor), QFIs (Qualified Foreign Investors) and
NRIs were eligible to invest and acquire the shares on the
recognized stock exchanges of India in compliance with the
FEMA (Foreign Exchange Management Act) regulations. But
the NRIs were not allowed to acquire shares on exchange
(bourses) under the FDI Scheme.
11. The RBI said, min paid-up equity of 25 % should be held
directly by the lender. Also, repayment of the principal will
commence only after completion of minimum average
maturity of 7 years and no prepayment will be allowed before
12. RBI opens special dollar window for 3 oil marketing firms: the
central bank has activated the forex swap window, whereby it
will undertake sell/buy of dollar-rupee forex swaps for a fixed
period with Indian Oil Corporation, Hindustan Petroleum and
Bharat Petroleum through a designated bank.
13. The RBI imposed restrictions on banks and NBFCs for providing
loans against gold coins as well as units of gold ETFs and
mutual funds to curb demands for gold. Also banks were asked
to ensure that the amount of loan to any customer against gold
ornaments, gold Jewellery and gold coins (weighing up to 50
grams) should be within the board approved limit.
14. UAE Exchange, one of the largest foreign exchange firms in the
United Arab Emirates, has applied to RBI for a banking license
15. The RBI has increased banks' cost of borrowing short term money through the Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) rate and
Bank Rate each by 200 basis points (2 per cent) to 10.25 per cent. The RBI has capped the amount banks can borrow from
overnight markets to Rs. 75,000 crore.
16. The Reserve Bank opened a special borrowing window of Rs 25,000 crore to help the crisis-ridden mutual funds tide over
17. Aditya Birla Group chairman Kumar Mangalam Birla has resigned from RBI board to avoid any conflict of interest as one of
his group firm is in the race for a new banking licence.
18. In view of a series of chit fund frauds, RBI has decided to set up a separate forum for coordination and sharing information
to rein in such investment schemes.
19. Reserve Bank will examine financials of 34,754 non-banking finance companies (NBFCs) to ascertain their eligibility. "The
main objective is to determine whether among these companies there are NBFCs that ought to have registered with the RBI
for carrying on their NBFI (non-banking financial institution) activities,".
20. The RBI announced its decision to buy long-term government bonds worth Rs 80 billion (nearly $1.3bn) to pump more
liquidity into the country's banking system.
21. Rajan announced an external committee, under the chairmanship of former Governor Bimal Jalan, to screen applicants for
new bank licences, from January next year.
22. Karur Vysya Bank wins best banker award.
2. UNION BUDGET 2013-14
1. Amount Allotted for Major Sectors in Union Budget 2013-14 presented by Finance Minister P Chidambaram.
Amount (in Crores)
Kisan credit card (KCC)
Rural development Scheme
Sarva shiksha abhyan
Pradhan mantri gram sadak yojana
RIDF(Rural Infrastructure Development Fund)
Integrated child development scheme
Drinking water and sanitation
Indira Awaj Yojana
Public sector banks
Mid day meal
Agriculture development project
Environment and foresty
Rural housing fund
NABARD to finance construction of godowns and
Medical, education and research
Urban housing fund
Green revolution for eastern zone(Assam, Odissa,
Jharkhand, Chattisgarh, WB) mainly for rice production
Science and Technology
Microfinance equity fund
2. The revised expenditure target is Rs 14,30,825 crore.
3. Relief of Rs 2,000 for tax payers in tax bracket of Rs. 2-5 lakh.
4. Average economic growth rate in 11th Plan period is 8 %, highest ever in any Plan period.
5. Food grain production in 2012-13 will be over 250 million tons.
6. Rs 14,873 crore for JNNURM for urban transportation in 2013-14 against Rs 7,880 crore in the current fiscal.
7. Rs 5,284 crore to various Ministries for scholarships for SC/ST, OBC and minority students.
a) Fiscal deficit seen at 5.2 % of GDP in 2012/13.
b) Fiscal deficit seen at 4.8 % of GDP in 2013/14.
c) Fiscal deficit to 3 % by 2016/17
a) Revenue Deficit seen at 3.9 % 2012-13.
b) Revenue Deficit seen at 3.3 % 2013-14.
c) Revenue deficit to 1.9% by 2016-17.
Taxes: Service tax (12%), Custom duty (10%) & Excise duty (12%) remains unchanged.
Tax benefits in RGESS extended to 3 years:
a) The Rajiv Gandhi Equity Savings Scheme (RGESS) will be liberalised to enable first time retail investors to invest in mutual
funds and listed shares and not in one year alone, but for three successive years.
b) Under the scheme, an individual with an income of less than Rs 12 lakh would get tax incentives for investing up to Rs
50,000 in the stock market.
c) Also, the limit for investors wanting to invest in RGESS has been raised to Rs 12 lakh from Rs 10 lakh earlier.
3. HIGHLIGHTS OF RAIL BUDGET 2013-2014
1. 67 new express and 26 passenger trains to be launched.
2. Educational tourist train "Azadi Express" proposed.
3. Indian Railway Financial Management Institute to be set up at
4. Target of investment of 1 lakh crore through PPP mode in 12th FYP.
5. For the first time, Arunachal Pradesh brought under Rail Network.
6. Complementary passes for Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna and Olympic awardees.
7. Dronacharya awardees to get Shatabdi and Rajdhani passes.
New factories/workshops to be set up:
1. New Forged Wheel Factory at Rae Bareli in collaboration with Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited.
2. A Coach Manufacturing Unit in Sonepat District (Haryana) in collaboration with State Government.
3. A Midlife Rehabilitation Workshop at Kurnool (Andhra Pradesh) in collaboration with the State Government.
4. Bikaner and Pratapgarh workshops to undertake POH of BG wagons.
5. A workshop for repair and rehabilitation of motorized bogies at Misrod (Madhya Pradesh).
6. A new wagon maintenance workshop in Kalahandi (Odisha).
4. ECONOMIC FACTS:
1. FDI Limits:
List of Limits in Various Sectors (In %)
Public Sec. Banks
Private Sec. Banks
2. India ranking in different Indexes for 2013:
a) Global Hunger Index- 66.
b) Global Peace Index – 141
c) Human Development Report – 136
d) Global Corruption Index – 94
e) Global Competitiveness Index-60 for 2013 (Switzerland top in this report)
f) Gender Inequality Index - 132nd (UN Human Development (Index) Report)
g) In List of High Net worth Individuals – (5th acc to the Knight Frank Wealth Report 2013)
h) In The List of Spam Spewing Nation in the World- 3rd (after US and China): as per the new report of Sophos Labs.
i) India has been ranked as the 119th freest country in the world out of 177 in the 2013 index of economic freedom.
3. Global Competitiveness Report released by World Economic Forum (WEF):
World Bank Forecast GDP growth rate for India:
a) 5.7% in 2013-14
b) 6.5% in 2014-15
c) 6.7% in 2015-16
4. India’s GDP growth:
a) The Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (of India) lowers growth projection for 2013-14 to 5.3 pc from 6.4
percent projected earlier.
b) India’s GDP growth likely to be at 5.2% in 2013: United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
c) RBI recently in its quarterly review has scaled down the growth projection for the current fiscal to 5.5 per cent from its
earlier estimate of 5.7 per cent.
d) Asian Development Bank lowered its growth projection for India to 5.8 per cent in calendar 2013 from 6 per cent estimated
earlier, citing the slow progress of economic reforms.
e) International Monetary Fund outlook projects India’s economic growth at 5.6 per cent this year.
5. IMF’s GDP growth:
a) 5.7 %- For India (According to World Economic Outlook ) for 2013.
b) 3.3%- For global growth.
6. Faced with a weakening rupee, the Reserve Bank announced it will sell government bonds worth Rs 22,000 crore every
Monday to check volatility in the forex market.
7. Muthoot Fincorp, which is actually a part of Muthoot Pappachan Group, announced launching 100 crore Rupees non-
convertible debenture (NCB) issue in order to fund the expansion of microfinance as well as small and medium enterprise
8. According to the World Bank India is Largest Recipient of Remittances in the World, receiving 69 billion US Dollars in 2012.
India is followed by China (60 billion US dollars), the Philippines (24 billion US dollars), Mexico (23 billion US dollars)
and Nigeria and Egypt (21 billion US dollars each) are Other large recipients include Pakistan, Bangladesh, Vietnam, and
9. World Bank recorded that remittance flows to developing countries grew by 5.3 per cent to reach an estimated 401 billion
dollar in 2012.
10. Remittances to developing countries are likely to grow by an annual average of 8.8 per cent for the next three years and are
expected to reach 515 billion US dollars in 2015.
11. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh released a commemorative stamp of Rs 5 in memory of freedom fighter and veteran
journalist Lala Jagat Narain. Nagaland became the first state to use the high-tech voter recording system 'Voter Verifiable
Paper Audit Trail' (VVPAT) with Electronic Voting Machines for the by-elections to Noksen Assembly constituency.
12. Chhattisgarh has been selected for this year's prestigious National Literacy Award for the first time since its formation in
November 2000. The award was presented on the International Literacy Day celebrated on September eight.
13. Aditya Birla Group ( Ultra Tech Cement) to acquire Gujarat cement for Rs 3,800 crore.
14. Retirement fund body EPFO is likely to announce an interest rate of 8.5 percent from 8% on provident fund deposits for
15. Tata Communications Payment Solutions (TCPS), a wholly owned subsidiary of Tata Communications, is the first company to
launched first white label ATM (WLA) at Chandrapada, a tier-V town near Mumbai. It has been branded 'Indicash' by the
company. TCPS has got the license from Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to launch white label ATM operations last month under
scheme ‘B’ of the central bank.
16. The Karnataka State government sanctioned Rs 100 crore for Rajiv Gandhi Panchayat Sashaktikaran Abhiyan for
strengthening gram panchayats and gram sabhas by providing training to members.
17. The International Olympic Committee has asked the Indian Olympic Association to drop charge-sheeted members by
October 31 to enable its return to the Olympic family.
18. Andhra Pradesh Grameena Vikas Bank (APGVB) has opened about 1.5 lakh no-frills accounts in eight districts of the State on
a single day as part of Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) initiative.
19. Central Bank of India and Suvidhaa launched a prepaid (Channel) card for retailers that will enable people to pay their utility
bills, taxes and book tickets by going to the nearest Suvidhaa outlets.
20. India to buy $4.3 billion worth of World Bank bonds: The government announced it decision to invest $4.3 billion (Rs 27,000
crore) the World Bank's special private placement bonds (SPPBs) so that the country could remain eligible for the global
lender's low-cost funding for various domestic infrastructure projects.
21. The Central Government raised customs duty on gold, silver and platinum to 10 percent in a bid to curb the surging imports
and burgeoning Current Account Deficit (previously gold 8%
and silver 6%).
22. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Centre signed an
agreement for US $300 million additional loan to upgrade 254
kilometres of deteriorated highways in northern and southern
23. India has signed a loan agreement of 100 million US dollar with
the World Bank for its Low Income Housing Finance
Project.The objective of the project is to provide access to
sustainable housing finance for low income households to
purchase, build or upgrade their dwellings.
24. ICICI Bank Ltd, India’s largest private sector bank, has
launched ICICI Bank Carbon in partnership with Visa.
25. India extends US$144mn credit line to Liberia of power
transmission and distribution projects to reduce the gap of
power shortage in Liberia.
26. India tops BRICS in super-rich membership : World Ultra
Wealth report 2013.
27. Import Duty on Gold, Silver & Platinum hiked to 10 Percent by
Central Government in a bid to curb the surging imports and
burgeoning Current Account Deficit.
28. India, Japan to enhance currency swap arrangement to USD 50
billion a development that is likely to bring stability in financial
markets in the country.
29. The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development
(NABARD) has sanctioned Rs 113.70 crore to Karnataka under
Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF).
30. Maharatna status for BHEL and GAIL.
31. Govt. postponed the implementation of GAAR by 2 years to
April 1, 2016.
32. Govt. granted an aid of 41 Crore Rs. to protect “Pashmina Goats”.
33. The government signed a $60 million loan agreement with the World Bank to improve watershed operations in seven districts
34. Centre to set up country's 1st geothermal power project in Ladakh.
35. SBI launches pre-paid card for for blue collar employees and students named 'State Bank of India smart payout card'.
i. "The new product will bring a large number of workers, contract labourers and dependent family members, who don't have
access to the basic banking facilities within the ambit of financial inclusion.
ii. The pre-paid card can be loaded with Rs 10,000 at a time with a monthly cap of Rs 25,000.
iii. This can also be used as an add on card for the existing account holders.
iv. The bank will charge Rs 102 as fees for issuing the card with a validity of 10 years.
v. This card can be used by students, who normally carry the debit cards of their parents while studying outside of their
native place, Also, employers can give such cards to their workers for salary payment".
36. SEBI has introduced electronic IPOs from January 1, 2013.
37. The Indian tea industry has finally reached the 1 billion kg-mark in production.
38. SBI opened its 2nd branch in China (Tianjin), While 1st in Shanghai.
39. Govt. postponed GAAR implementation by 2 years to 2016.
40. Madhya Pradesh is the first State to fully utilize tourism plans funds.
41. ICICI Bank Opened 101 Gramin Branches across Villages in 6 States
42. Former RBI Governor Y V Reddy will be the Chairman of 14th Finance Commission; the 13th Finance Commission was
headed by former Finance Secretary Vijay Kelkar.
43. India and Pakistan have agreed to allow two banks each from both, the countries to set up branches across the border. The
two Indian banks are SBI and Bank of India and two Pakistani banks are National Bank of Pakistan and United Bank Ltd.
44. Indian banks would need Rs 3,90,000-5,00,000 crore capital over the next six years in the wake of Basel III capital
regulations announced by the RBI.
45. Bank of India opened its 1st Branch in South Africa.
46. LIC Housing Finance has launched a new home loan product called “Bhagyalakshmi” for women home seekers.
47. ADB gave 100 Million US Dollar Loan to Uttarakhand for the urban infrastructure programme.
48. The ADB has offered $150 million loan for the expansion of railway tracks and to improve overall service in the country.
49. ADB announced to provide $74.8 million loan to improve road connectivity in the North East states.
50. ADB to provide $300 million loan to Chhattisgarh for overhauling roads
51. ING Vysya Life is now subsidiary of Exide Industries
52. India is 4th largest energy consumer in the world: According to a Report by US Energy Information Administration (EIA), India
has emerged the fourth largest energy consumer of the world after the US, China and Russia, but its per capita energy
consumption remains lower than that of developed countries.
53. SIDBI signs tripartite MoU with Egyptian body, World Bank: Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has signed a
tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Social Fund for Development (SFD) Egypt and the World Bank. According
to Sushil Muhnot, Chairman & Managing Director, SIDBI, under the MOU, SIDBI and its associates will provide consultancy for
three year period to SFD and establish credit guarantee system for micro, small and medium enterprises in Egypt.
54. Moneylender-free’ village: Canara Bank has taken move by declaring Kunjupannai village in Nilgiris district of Tamil Nadu a
‘moneylender free’ village.
55. Revised Food Bill proposes uniform 5 kg per head foodgrain subsidy: Nearly 67 per cent of population will get 5 kg of foodgrain
per month at subsidised prices, once the National Food Security Bill (NFSB) gets approval from Parliament. The price for
providing foodgrains will be initially valid for the first three years of implementation of the Act and after that it will be linked to
Minimum Support Price. There is no change of entitlement for 2.43 crore ‘poorest of poor’ families under the ‘Antyodaya Anna
Yojana’, which is 35 kg per household per month. The Bill aims to cover 75 per cent of rural population and 50 per cent of the
56. Agriculture’s share in GDP may fall to 13.7% in FY13: on account of higher growth in the non-farm sectors. The contribution of
agriculture and allied sector to the Gross Domestic Product of the country declined from 14.6 per cent in 2009-10 to 14.5 per
cent in 2010-11 and further to 14.1 per cent in 2011-12.
57. Card related complaints are highest number of complaints which were reported to the ‘Banking Ombudsmans’
58. Minimum net-owned funds of Rs 50 lakh must for money transfer business: According to the Reserve Bank of India, Indian
agents intending to get into the money transfer business will need to have minimum net-owned funds of Rs 50 lakh. Further,
collateral equivalent to three days’s average drawings or $50,000, whichever is higher, may be kept by the Overseas Principal in
favour of the Indian Agent with a designated bank in India.
59. The National Manufacturing Policy, aims at enhancing the share of manufacturing in GDP to: 25 per cent within a decade.
60. 5 kg per head food grain is to be given at subsidized price as per revised Food Bill.
61. Urban cooperative banks to implement CBS by: Dec 31,2013.
62. RBI asks urban cooperative banks to implement CBS by Dec 31: RBI has asked Urban Co-operative Banks (UCBs) to implement
core banking solutions (CBS) in all their branches by December 31, 2013.
63. MNREGA workers to get more wages: From April 1, the maximum daily wage of Rs 214 has been fixed for Haryana, while Bihar,
Sikkim, Tripura, Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh will get the minimum of Rs 135. The MNREGA wage rate is linked to the
Consumer Price Index for Agricultural Labour (CPIAL) from April 1 every year.
64. Minimum net-owned funds for money transfer business: Rs 50 lakh. Further, collateral equivalent to three days’s average
drawings or $50,000, whichever is higher, may be kept by the Overseas Principal in favour of the Indian Agent with a
designated bank in India.
65. Share of India’s goods exports in GDP in 2011-12: 17.7% of GDP
66. India Mortgage Guarantee Corporation is subsidiary of: National Housing Bank (NHB).
67. Direct Benefit Transfer Scheme will be expanded to 78 districts from July 13.
68. The State Bank of Travancore launched a new service for its customers - doorstep banking.The minimum pick- up will be Rs. 5
lakh and the maximum would be Rs. 20 million.
69. The government has approved private sector lender Yes Bank's proposal to increase foreign holdings in the company to 60
percent that is likely to result in overseas equity inflow of Rs. 2,650 crore.
70. Govt released National Cyber Security Policy 2013 with an aim to protect information and build capabilities to prevent cyber
attacks and to safeguard both physical and business assets of the country.
71. Govt aimed to bring e-governance at grass root level for transparency under e-district scheme and govt has decided to cover
339 of around 620 districts by March 2014 by a system under which govt. services can be accessed through instruments like
mobile phones.The initiative is a part of e-Bharat programme for which government has received a financial support of around
Rs 700 crore from World Bank.
72. Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Surakhsa Yojna, MGPSY ,a pension scheme for blue-collar Indian workers was launched in the Gulf.
The MGPSY is aimed at helping the workers to save money for their retirement, their return to India and resettlement and
provides life insurance cover against natural death during the period of coverage.Under the scheme, Government
contributes Rs.1,000 per annum for men and Rs. 2000 for women subscribers of MGPSY who save between Rs.1,000 and
Rs.12,000 per year in NPS-Lite.
73. Ratings agency Crisil Friday assigned 'AAA' ratings to India Infradebt Limited, the country's first infrastructure debt fund under
the non-banking finance company structure.The fund, jointly promoted by ICICI Bank, Bank of Baroda, Life Insurance
Corporation (LIC) and Citicorp Finance (India), awarded its first sanction letter to a road project.
74. The Bank International Indonesia (BII) launched its operations in India by opening a branch in Mumbai.
75. Anna Bhagya’ programme launched in Karnataka.The programme entitles distribution of 30 kg rice at one rupee per Kg to over
98 lakh BPL and Antyodaya card holders in the state.The state Government will distribute over two lakh 78 thousand metric
tonne of rice with a subsidy of 4400 crore every month.
76. State Bank of India, in partnership with a non-banking finance company, UAE Exchange and Financial Services, has launched a
card which will enable the holder to receive the remittance directly on the card.The card State Bank Xpress Money Card can be
loaded with up to Rs 50,000. A maximum of 30 remittances can be loaded during a calendar year.Prepaid cards are beneficial
to customers as there is no need to open a bank account in State Bank of India.
77. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved disinvestment of government stake in State Trading Corporation
(STC) and ITDC, which would fetch around Rs.30 crore to the exchequer.
78. HAUSLA Scheme launch for Family Health Campaign in U.P.HAUSLA (meaning “spirit” or “determination”), the campaign’s twin
goals include galvanizing state health systems to deliver high-quality, accessiblehealth programs and services, while
also increasing awareness and utilization of services by families and communities across the state’s 75 districts.The HAUSLA
campaign theme song, “Mujhse Bada Mera Hausla”, is sung by popular Bollywood singer Shaan.
79. In a major upgrade of powers given to Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), the government has allowed it to pass
orders like search and seizure, attachment of properties, arrest and detention of defaulters and pass disgorgement directions
to recover the wrongful gains made in contravention of laws.
80. The Delhi High Court introduced online payment of court fee, the first such facility in the country which will save litigants from
standing in long queues at the counter.
81. India ranked 3rd in Global Consumer Confidence Index. Indonesia emerged as the most optimistic country with 124 points
followed by Philippines with 121 points and India came third with 121 points.
82. Government has approved Free Trade LPG Scheme for selling five Kilogram LPG cylinders through Company Owned Retail
Outlets of Oil Marketing Companies.
83. Assam government would roll out Food Security scheme from November to cover about 2.25 crore people in the state.
84. Rampur become the first city of North India where ATM facility will be available for people maintaining accounts in co-
85. AADHAR platform must be only channel for DBT payments says Chidambaram and he has asked all public sector banks to
approach beneficiaries of Direct Benefit Transfer, DBT, and scheme to link AADHAR number with their bank accounts.
86. The Employees' Provident Fund Organisation, EPFO, has started registration of digital signatures of employers for online
transfer of Provident Fund accounts.The system is aimed at making the fund transfer process transparent, efficient and
comfortable for employees.
87. Reliance Power said its 45-MW wind power project at Vashpet in Maharashtra has commenced operations.
88. Public sector banks have been asked by RBI to set up ATMs in all branches by March, 2014 to enable customers in rural pockets
to do banking round-the-clock
89. Telecommunication major Vodafone India in association with ICICI bank has started a unique money transfer and payment
service “M-Pesa” in Bihar and Jharkhand where banking network and financial penetration is inadequate, particularly, in rural
90. Asian Development Bank (ADB) will provide about 6 billion dollars loan to India to maintain its lending level to India.
91. The Union Cabinet approved Women Self Help Groups to Get Low Interest Loans at 7% with the objective of removing
poverty in rural areas by empowering women. Till now this rate was 11.5 to 14 %.
92. National Stock Exchange(NSE) launched the country’s first Debt Trading Platform
93. WPI Inflation eased to 4.89 percent in April 2013.
94. LPG subsidy in bank accounts in 18 districts from 1st june under this cooking gas (LPG) consumers will get Rs 435 in their bank
accounts when they book an LPG cylinder via direct benefit transfer programme
95. India and Myanmar set 3 billion dollar trade target by 2015 during the meeting of India’s energy minister Anand Sharma with
his Myanmar counterpart U Than Htay in New Delhi held on 6 June 2013.
96. Axis Bank launched co-branded credit card that offers a blend of insurance and a number of travel benefits for international
frequent flyers, available in 2 versions, viz. World Select and World.
97. World Bank will provide USD 255 million (Rs 1,499.6 crore) loan to India for National AIDS Control Project (NACP-IV)' to
promote safe behaviour among high risk groups. was signed in New Delhi on Tuesday between India and the World Bank.
98. Reliance Capital became the first company to suspend gold sales.
99. Exim Bank approved $300 million loan to Ethiopia for the construction of a railway line linking this landlocked country in
the Horn of Africa to a port city in neighbouring Djibouti.
100. President inaugurated Rs 9000 crores’ first Gas-based Power Plant powered by ONGC—Tripura Power Corporation (OTPC) at
Palatana in Tripura, which would produce 363.3 MW in the first phase.
101. China, Britain set up currency swap line.
102. Reliance Capital has roped in Japanese financial behemoths Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank and Nippon Life Insurance as
minority partners to boost its quest for banking license.
103. The top three Expensive markets are:
i.Hong Kong (Central) with annual occupancy costs of $ 235.23 per sq ft topped the most expensive list for the third
ii. London’s West End, Beijing’s Finance Street
iii. Beijing’s Jianguomen.
104. India and Afghanistan have pledged to enhance bilateral cooperation across various sectors, particularly in the field of
education. India is currently one of the largest providers of education scholarships to Afghan youth under various
105. Cabinet approved Mumbai Metro Line 3. The estimated cost for the metro project has been pegged at Rs 23,136 crore. The
Metro project will be completed by March 2019. It will have 27 stations connecting business and industrial districts such as
Nariman Point, Worli, Dadar, BKC, MIDC and SEEPZ. The daily ridership is expected to be 13.87 lakh by 2025 and 16.99 lakh
106. The roll out of white-label automated teller machines (ATM) may still take a long time as most of the successful applicants
are not still unready to start operations and ATMs are teller machines that don't have a label of a particular bank as these
machines are installed and operated by non-bank entities. In simple words, these machines offer services to customers of all
banks.Tata Communications has already started the launch of white-label ATMs. The company aims to launch as many as
50,000 ATMs by the year 2016.
107. In its first ever loan to private agri-business in India, Asian Development Bank (ADB) will provide $ 18.4 million to Champion
Agro to set up cold storage facilities for fruits and vegetables focusing on Gujarat.
108. The Union Cabinet approved the proposal for setting up of the Bharat Rural Livelihood Foundation (BRLF) as an independent
charitable society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
109. ICICI Bank, the country’s largest private sector bank, launched its ‘Branch on Wheels’ to offer basic banking services in
remote areas which have so far been devoid of banking facilities.
110. Paradip Port was conferred with the Major Port of the Year award for its excellent performance in the year 2012-13.
111. The Government has decided to set up two new major ports one each at Sagar in West Bengal and the other
at Dugarajapatnam in Andhra Pradesh.
112. For the first time, an innovative Explosive Detection Kit developed by Indian scientists of DRDO will be manufatured in the
United States and sold globally
113. IRDA penalty of over 3cr on Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance for violations Market regulator SEBI has allowed mutual funds to
trade directly on debt platforms of recognised stock
114. During the meeting with the ASEAN countries Ministers at
Brunei India and ASEAN decided to set a target of $100 billion
turnover for the bilateral trade by 2015 between the two
entities and reviewed the completion of legal scrubbing of
India-ASEAN agreements on Trade in Services and
5. IMPORTANT POINTS TO REMEMBER
a. MOU Signed by India:
1. India and Japan signed a currency swap agreement for up to 50
billion dollars today to address short-term liquidity problems.
The bilateral swap arrangement (BSA) has been inked between
the Reserve Bank of India and the Bank of Japan.
2. Germany will provide USD 1.3 bn for renewable energy in India.
3. India signed an agreement with Belgium for the modernization
of the Indian Railways.
4. India and Russia signed pacts on Economic Ties for $2 billion
5. India signs $70 million loan pact with World Bank for Karkataka
Health Systems Development, Reform Project.
6. India and China sign 11 pacts to enhance trade and economic
7. India and World Bank Signed 500 Million Dollar Deal for
8. Trade between South Asian countries crosses $2 billion
following the implementation of South Asian Free Trade Area
9. India and Ukraine signed 5 agreements to enhance cooperation
including in areas of defence, Nuclear energy, Science and Technology and also to remove barriers for trade.
10. India and Sweden sign pact to enhance cooperation on social security.
11. India and Japan signed an Earths Pact that will enable the latter to import the rare Earth minerals from India.
12. India and ASEAN signed the free trade agreement (FTA) in services and investments to boost trade to $100 billion by 2015.
13. India, Mauritius met to review bilateral Double Taxation Avoidance Convention.
14. India and Bangladesh Decided to increase Rail Link Projects.
15. India, Bangladesh to set up Joint Inspection team for successful implementation of Border Trade.
16. India and Bangladesh signed Agreements on Extradition and Visa Regime.
17. India & Mauritius sign MoU in textile sector.
18. India & Austria ink social security pact.
19. India and Bangladesh signed MoU on Health.
20. India and France concluded negotiations on the Short Range Surface to Air Missile nearly worth USD 6 billion.
21. India and UK Signed MoU on in Earth Sciences.
22. India and Germany inked 6 key MoUs including that for putting together € 7 million for next 4 years towards joint research in
the field of higher education, for strengthening the green energy corridor, to promote German as a foreign language.
23. India and Sri Lanka signed two agreements.
a) Combating International Terrorism, illegal Drug and Human Trafficking.
b) An agreement on Avoidance of double taxation and prevention of fiscal evasion Japan to close embassy in Mali over
worsening security situation.
24. 7 key pacts in the areas of cyber security, Information technology, services, electronics, small and medium enterprises,
manufacturing, fertilizers, and renewable energy was signed between India & Egypt.
25. India and Liechtenstein signed the Tax Information Exchange Agreement (TIEA) at Bern, Switzerland.
26. India, Myanmar & Thailand decided to implement Trilateral Connectivity Project by 2016.
27. India offered Telecom Support to Turkmenistan.
28. India & Azerbaijan inked 3 key pacts for creating the necessary legal framework in areas of extradition.
29. India and Malta signed the new DTAA (The Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement) at Valetta.
30. India and Nepal agreed on Cooperation in Tourism: The both side also suggested joint promotion and development of Buddhist
Tourism sites in both the countries.
31. The Andhra Pradesh Government signed a MoU with the Google India under its Education Initiative.
32. Andhra Pradesh signed an MOU with the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) for better education.
33. India and Myanmar set three billion dollar trade target by 2015.
34. Exim Bank approves $300 million loan to Ethiopia for Railway Link:
35. India, Hungary join hands for ‘gas monitoring system’.
36. India, China in its 16th round of border talks discussed the Maintenance of peace and tranquility in the border areas in Beijing.
37. NTPC set agreement for the 2 x 250 MW Sampur power project in Trincomalee in Sri Lanka .
38. India inked a $252-million loan agreement with the Asian Development Bank (ADB) for continued improvement of rural roads
in Assam, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and West Bengal.
39. NTPC and Power Development Bangladesh signed 3 Pacts in Dhaka which were
i. Power Purchase Agreement (PPA), ii. Implementation Agreement (IA) & iii. Supplementary Joint Venture Agreement
(SJVA). The most important pact was signed for setting up of the biggest ever joint venture project of 1320 Megawatt Coal
based power plant, which is to be developed over an area of 1834 acres of land near Mongla Seaport in Rampal Upazila at an
expense of 1.6 billion US dollars.
40. India, China signed a series of (MoUs) on pharmaceuticals, buffalo meat and fisheries and an agreement on feed and feed
ingredients to address the growing trade deficit. The trade deficit has increased from $1.08 billion in 2001-02 to $40.77 billion
41. India, Hungary joined hands for ‘gas monitoring system’.Gujarat Info Petro Ltd, a subsidiary of Gujarat State Petroleum
Corporation, has signed an agreement with Cason Engineering Plc, Hungary, in pursuant to the MoU signed during the
Vibrant Gujarat Summit-2013, for a gas monitoring system.
42. India, Azerbaijan ink three key pacts for the legal framework in areas of extradition.
43. India & Thailand signed seven MOU's in different areas of MoUs covering space, extradition, IT, education, and financial
intelligence units to check money laundering.
44. NTPC inked pact for for the execution of the proposed 2X250 MW Sampur power project in Trincomale, Sri Lanka.
45. India, China discuss border issue; eight pacts signed in a Delegation level talks held in New Delhi between PM Manmohan
Singh & china PM Li Keqiang. 8 pacts were signed including one on Brahmputra river data sharing , Trade and economic
46. India and UAE signed an MoU on Air Services as a follow up of the two day bilateral negotiation at Abu Dhabi. With this the
number of seats between India and Abu Dhabi has been increased to 50000 passengers per week.
47. India and Netherlands signed MoU in the Field of Urban Planning
48. The Election Commission of India and the National Literacy Mission Authority, Ministry of Human Resource Development
signed a MoU on Electoral Literacy and Greater Participation for a Stronger and Inclusive Democracy in New Delhi.
49. India, at present, is the second largest producer of rice. Thailand is the largest producer of rice in the World.
50. India-Chile to Enhance Cooperation in Renewable Energy: India plans to add over 30 GW of renewable energy to its energy
mix in the next 5 years alone.
51. Two MOUs were inked, including one on energy cooperation in oil and gas exploration.
52. China and Sri Lanka have agreed to boost bilateral economic and trade cooperation in education, culture, tourism, media
and other areas.
53. Indonesia, Pakistan sign free trade pact: Indonesia and Pakistan have signed a free trade agreement (FTA) and expect to
take their bilateral trade to $2 billion by next year.
54. India and Afghanistan signed memorandam of understanding (MoUs) in Kabul for implementing 60 projects in ten Afghan
provinces under the Small Development Projects (SDP) scheme.
55. Indian multinational oil and gas company, Oil & Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) has signed an agreement to explore hiring Reliance
Industries' unutilised production facilities on the east to quickly bring to production its gas finds in the Krishna Godavari basin.
56. The Ministry of Rural Development signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Pradan, a non-governmental
organization.The NGO will serve as a resource and support organisation for the National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM), with
specially focusing on Naxal-affected districts.
57. The Union Government of India and Government of Albania signed an Agreement for Avoidance of Double Taxation and the
Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to the Taxes on Income and on Capital (DTAA).which also includes exchange of
banking information and supply of information without recourse to domestic interest.
58. India, Sri Lanka and the Maldives have entered into a tripartite agreement on maritime cooperation to secure sea routes in
the Indian Ocean region.
59. India and Iraq on signed a pact to enhance co-operation in energy security, bilateral trade & commerce, infrastructure and
others.As per the agreement, Iraq will supply more crude oil to India to meet the growing needs of energy in the country.
60. India and Tanzania have signed agreements on bilateral cooperation in several sectors including agriculture, health and
education, mines and minerals. The Tanzanian President assured his country's support for India's aspiration for a
permanent seat in a reformed United Nations Security Council.
61. India and Nigeria signed an agreement in Abuja to locate sites for solar power plants in Niger state. The agreement will
provide additional energy for Nigeria's national grid. It would be the first of a series of power plant deals With this
agreement in place, Bharat Heavy Electricals will begin preliminary studies for setting up independent solar-powered
plants in selected locations in Niger.’
62. India and Belarus signed a protocol to enhance trade ties during the sixth session of the Inter-Governmental Commission on
Trade, Economic, Scientific, Technological and Cultural Cooperation held in New Delhi.
63. India and Senegal have signed a three-year pact to further expand cultural exchanges. The Executive Programme for Cultural
Cooperation seeks exchange of experts in the field of theatre and publications on cultural heritage.
64. The second triangular partnership programme involving India, the US and African nations, which aims to improve agricultural
productivity and support market institutions in Kenya, Liberia and Malawi was launched in Jaipur.
65. Prasar Bharati and the Australian Network signed an agreement to strengthen the partnership between the two public
broadcasters.With the agreement, ABC International will be available on DD Direct plus from 1 November 2013. It will allow
the channel to be shown along with 59 other channels on Doordarshan's DTH platform
66. Runa Laila, the SAARC Goodwill Ambassador for HIV/AIDS visited India from and the objective of the visit was to extend support
to the cause of HIV/AIDS especially on the issues of Stigma and Discrimination related to People Living with HIV/AIDS (PLHIV).
67. India signed a Protocol amending the India – Morocco Double Taxation Avoidance Convention (DTAC).It provides for effective
exchange of information including banking information between tax authorities of the two countries.
68. India assured Bhutan of assistance in financing, executing and
monitoring its 11th Five Year Plan in a proficient and effective
69. Moussa Faki Mahamat, Minister for Foreign Affairs and African
Integration of Republic of Chad, visited India. The visit was
aimed at increasing bilateral cooperation between the India
70. The Export-Import Bank of India has extended a $125 million Line of Credit (LOC) to the Government of Sudan for financing the
Mashkour Sugar Project in Sudan.
71. India and Bangladesh signed a Memorandum of Understanding to further enhance cooperation in the textiles sector.Under the
MoU signed, India has offered cotton security for Bangladesh Mills.
72. India and Iraq signed MoUs during the visit of Nouri al-Maliki to India.MoU in the field of Energy between the Ministry of
Petroleum & Natural Gas of the Republic of India and the Ministry of Oil of the Republic of Iraq.
73. Ministry of Tourism of India agreed to a proposal from the visiting Tourism and Travel delegation from Nepal for joint publicity
of India and Nepal as Tourist destinations in other countries.
74. US Vice President, Joe Biden visited India and had a meeting on Trade and economic ties, defence cooperation, energy and
climate will be focus of his engagements with Indian leaders.
b. Scheme & Plan Launched by Union & state Government:
1. Main Points of Food Security Bill 2013:
a) The food security bill approved is directed towards giving the right to food to around 67 per cent of India's 120-crore
population (including 75% rural and 50% urban).
b) While families in the poorest of the poor will continue to get 35 kg of grains per month.
c) Rice will be made available at 3 Rupees per Kg.
d) Wheat will cost 2 rupees a kg and cereal will be sold for 1 Rupees per kg.
e) The Food Security programme will be the biggest in the world with the government spending estimated at Rs. 1,25,000 crore
annually on supply of about 62 million tonnes of rice, wheat and coarse cereals to 67 per cent of the population.
f) About 2.43 crore poorest of the poor families covered under the Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) scheme under PDS (Public
Distribution System) would continue to get 35 kg of food grains per family per month but with legal entitlement.
g) In Union Budget 2013-14, Rs 10,000 crore set aside for incremental cost for National Food Security Bill.
h) The scheme will be linked to the Aadhar scheme which provides every citizen with a unique identification number that's
linked to a database that includes the biometrics of all card-holders.
i) C Rangarajan is the head of the committee for examination of the Food Security Bill.
j) Chhattisgarh the first state to pass legislation on food security. The state legislative assembly passed the Food Security Bill
2012 that confers legal rights to the beneficiaries to receive food grains and food items at highly subsidized prices.
2. E-stamping launched in Delhi on 28 June of all denominations.
3. Chhattisgarh became the first state in the country to bring legislation on food security.
4. Arunachal Pradesh became the First State to Introduce e-GPF.
5. Odisha became the 1st Indian state to commence e-payment facility for government employees.
6. Second all-woman employees post office inaugurated at the Delhi.
7. Union government launched Direct cash transfer scheme in 20 districts, It will cover 26 schemes such as educational
scholarship for SC/ST and OBC, and widow pension.
8. Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment, Kumari Selja on 5 April 2013 launched a Website
on Babu Jagjivan Ram on the occasion of his 106th Birth Anniversary.
9. Govt. launched Child health Screening service in Maharashtra.
10. HRD Ministry Launched Sanskrit Caravan.
11. The official online portal of INTRA-IPS was launched by S. Jayaraman (Special Secretary-Internal Security),
Minister of Home Affairs at New Delhi.
12. Rajiv Gandhi Jeevandayee Arogya Yojana (health insurance scheme) was launched in Maharashtra.
13. Andhra Pradesh on occasion of Ugadi Festival launched a new scheme named Amma Hastham (mother's hand) to supply nine
essential food items to poor at subsidized rates.
14. Haryana Govt. decides to implement e-pension scheme system.
15. Haryana bags ‘Krishi Karman Award’ for highest wheat production.
16. Odisha decided to set up the first public health university under Public-Private Partnership mode at Gramadiha village in Jatni
tehsil on the outskirts of Bhubaneswar with the colaboration State Health Department and Asian Institute of Public Health in
17. M.P. announced “Mukhyamantri Yuva Swarozgar Yojna” for provinding bank guarantee & loans to youths to set up their own
industries or business of worth up to 25 lakh rupees and 5% loan subsidy for 5 years.
18. Madya Pradesh starts new scheme “Sampark Setu”.
19. M.P. govt launched “Atal Jyoti scheme” in Bhopal district under the scheme 24 hour power is supplied in the rural areas.
20. M.P. govt decided to declare “Malkhamb” as the State Sport.
21. Nirmal Bharat Campaign had started in Sevagram, Maharashtra.
22. India's first automatic toll collection system launched in Maharashtra.
23. Maharashtra Govt. creates special bank account for drought relief.
24. U.P started Ashirwad Bal Swasthya Guarantee Yojna under NRHM.
25. UP govt. launched unemployment allowance scheme.
26. UP Government launched the Samajwadi Swasthya Seva in the state.
27. Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav launched free laptop scheme for intermediate pass.
28. Uttarakhand govt to strictly implement 'no work no pay' rule.
29. Kerala Govt. Raised Age Limit (18 to 21 ) for Buying and Selling Liquor.
30. Rajasthan Govt will establish Kisan Service Centers and Village Knowledge centers at all Panchayat headquarters.
31. West Bengal to give fixed Salary to ASHA workers.
32. MP leads in growth rate with Gross State Domestic Product for 2012-13 is likely to be 14.28 % and agriculture growth rate
33. Cairn India has said it has made the 26th oil discovery in its prolific Rajasthan block, the discovery follows allowing the company
to explore for oil on block well after expiry of the exploration phase.
34. Govt decided to transfer cash subsidy to domestic cooking gas (LPG) consumers under its ambitious Direct Benefit Transfer
(DBT) scheme from LPG from May .LPG consumers will get about Rs 4,000 per annum in cash from the government, and they
will have to then buy LPG at a market price of Rs 901.50 per 14.2-kg cylinder.
35. The official online portal of INTRA-IPS was launched by S. Jayaraman (Special Secretary-Internal
Security), Minister of Home Affairs at New Delhi. The online portal will facilitate information about the Indian Police Service
Civil List, Immovable Property Returns, Latest notifications/circulars, Rules, Police Medal Awardees list etc. related to all IPS
officers all over India.
36. Vocational education, services and e-governance network, AISECT launched a job portal called RojgarMantra.com which will
cater mainly to people in rural and semi urban India. AISECT is planning to have over 10 lakh job seekers and an equal number
of jobs registered with Rojgar Mantra in the next 5 years.
37. Cairn India makes new oil discovery in Rajasthan block.
38. Goa Government launched Krishi Card for Farmers which is supposed to help farmers in making use of benefits such as
subsidies and loans given by the State Government
39. A unique scheme, Golden Girl (Bangaru Talli) launched in Andhra Pradesh, to protect girl child and ensure her education.
. The scheme is limited to two children of each BPL family.
. The scheme provides periodical payment of financial benefit for the education and nutrition needs of the girls who born in a
BPL family right from their birth.
. The state will pay 1000 Rs per month to the mother from the time she conceives till child’s birth and if a girl child is born,
mother will be given 2,500 Rs at the delivery time.
. Till the girl attains five years age, the family will be given 1500 Rs every year. When she is admitted in school she will be paid
1000 Rs and 2000 Rs every year till she completes fifth standard.
. The amount will be 2,500 rupees per year till she completes 8th class and 3000 rupees till 10th class.
. It will be 3,500 rupees till plus two and 4000 per year till she completes graduation.
. If the girl stops her education at plus two, 50 thousand rupees will be paid towards her marriage expenses and it will be one
lakh rupees if she opts marriage after graduation.
40. Puducherry Government launched Dairy Development Scheme to promote dairy activities and to enhance socio-economic
status of the farmers in the Union Territory, As per the scheme, each farmer is supposed to get 50000 Rupees to launch a
mini-dairy project with three milch cows.
41. Union Government of India decided to launched DBTL (Direct Benefit Transfer for LPG) scheme in 20 high Aadhaar coverage
districts on 1 June 2013.
42. Centre set up National Skill Development Agency (NSDA) to meet the growing need for skilled work force in both the public
and private sectors.
43. Centre launched skill development and job placement scheme 'Roshini' for rural youth and women in maoist affected 24
districts in 9 states.
44. Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojna (RSBY) launched for BPL families in Assam. The scheme is being implemented in 24 districts.
45. IIFCL Mutual Fund launched Infrastructure debt fund (IDF) with the support of Canara Bank and HUDCO being the strategic
investors and Corporation Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce & IIFCL being the other investors.
46. Army launched website on Uttarakhand relief: suryahopes.in.
47. The Rajasthan government launched a unique scheme called “Mukhyamantri Bijli Bachat Lamp Yojna” for energy
conservation. The State government will provide 2 CFL bulb free of cost to all electricity consumers of villages and BPL
consumers in urban areas. This unique scheme will continue till August 2013.
48. Govt. launched medi claim facility for farmers holding kisan Credit cards issued by Dena Bank. Launching the scheme, Finance
minister P Chidambaram handed over medi claim policies and ID cards to six farmers of different states holding KCC of the
bank. He said it is an innovative and noble scheme for the benefit of farmers at large.
49. Vodafone India, along with ICICI Bank, launched its mobile money transfer and payment service, targeting mainly migrant
workers Called “M-Pesa”, the service was launched across the eastern states of India that include West Bengal (including
Kolkata), Bihar and Jharkhand.
50. The Union Cabinet has given nod to the proposal to divest 10% government stake in Indian Oil Corporation (IOC).
51. Singapore Finance minister M Shanmugam visited India
52. Railways launched ticketing through SMS with two dedicated numbers - 139 and 5676714 - for the servic.
53. HP launched Officejet Pro X 500 series world's fastest desktop printer that can deliver professional documents at up to 70
pages per minute
54. Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) launched broad-based Islamic Equity Index.) on 30 April 2013 based on the wide-measure S&P
BSE 500 index. It will provide a new benchmark for Islamic investors in one of the world's largest stock exchanges.
55. Valuemart Gold and Jewels launched 1 lakh Gold coins (each of 10 grams) bearing Sachin's face, signature .
56. Britain launched Super Priority same-day visa service for urgent Travellers from India.
57. Rahul to launched scheme “Umeed” for poor women in J&K, this scheme is launched to help the women organised into Self
Help Groups and then form federations of such groups. The programme planned to include nine lakh women and cover
about two-third of the state's rural households. It has a budget of Rs 755 crore that will be shared 90:10 by the Centre and
the state government.
58. Rail link to Kashmir launched on June 26. Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi jointly flagged off the first train on the 18-km-
long section between Banihal in Jammu and Qazigund in Kashmir. The Banihal-Qazigund section, which includes an 11-km-
long tunnel, will reduce the distance from 35 km (by road) to 18 km. It has been constructed at a cost of Rs 1,691 crore.
59. The West Bengal Government decided to set up a holding company to bring all state corporations marketing different
products under the MSME sector under a single umbrella. Also cleared allocation of Rs 492 crore for ‘Kanyashee project’ to
be launched on October 1 this year to benefit the girl child.
60. Government will soon launch Rajiv Awas Yojana (RAY) to make the country Slum Free. This programme will cover all towns,
61. Punjab State Govt launch ‘bed and breakfast’ scheme for tourists. To give a boost to tourism and provide a home-like
affordable accommodation to visitors, the Punjab government is set to promote high-end ‘bed and breakfast’ scheme.and
urban agglomerations in the country during its implementation phase.
62. The Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation has proposed to launch a “National Urban Livelihoods Mission
(NULM)” in 12th Five Year Plan, which will replace the existing Swarna Jayanti Shahari Rozgar Yojana (SJSRY).The NULM
would focus on organizing urban poor in self help groups, creating opportunities for skill development leading to market-based
employment and helping them to set up self-employment ventures by ensuring easy access to credit.
63. LIC Housing Finance Ltd has launched a public deposit scheme ‘Sanchay’ whereby it will offer the highest interest rate of 9.5
per cent on five-year deposits.The term period for deposits ranges from one to five years with the minimum amount of deposit
being Rs 10,000 and thereafter in multiples of Rs 1,000
64. Bhumi Sena Scheme launched in UP for transformation of Barren Land. The scheme would help in increasing cultivation area in
65. In Punjab, fearing trouble from some anti-social elements, Stri Shakti, an NGO providing mid-day meal in six districts has
decided to wind up their operations.
66. P. Chidambaram launched the National Skill Certification and Monetary Reward Scheme in New Delhi. This scheme is likely to
benefit about one million young men and women in the next 12 months.This scheme will set the curriculum and standards for
training in different skills and any institution or body may offer training courses. Upon completion the candidate then has to
take a test conducted by authorised agencies.upon passing the test, the candidate will be given a certificate as well as a
monetary reward of an average of 10,000 rupees per candidate.
67. 50,000 girl students in Tripura living below the poverty line would get a bicycle each free as an incentive to reduce the school
drop out rate. Girl students in Class XI and XII with a family income less than 1.25 lakhs per annum would get the benefit.
68. The Parliament has passed the historic Companies Bill 2012.The new law will facilitate business-friendly corporate regulation,
improve corporate governance norms, enhance accountability on the part of corporates/ auditors, raise levels of transparency
and protect interests of investors, particularly small investors.
69. Delhi government is all set to launch food security programme and it is first state in India to launch Union government’s food
70. Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma launched a Centre for Adaptation to Climate Change which aims to engage
government departments and civil societies to address the issue of climate change.
71. The Union government of India planned to launch Bharat Mobile Scheme under which one member of every rural household
who has completed 100 days of work under MGNREGA can get free mobile device.
72. A free insurance scheme covering nearly 3 lakh drivers of public transport vehicles run on Compressed Natural Gas-CNG was
launched in the national capital.The Indraprastha Gas Limited Suraksha Yojana was jointly launched by Petroleum and Natural
Gas Minister M Veerappa Moily and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.A sum of 1.5 lakh rupees will be paid to the nominee of
the driver in case of death. An additional amount of 25,000 rupees per child will be paid towards education allowance, subject
to a maximum of 50,000 rupees.
73. The National Teeka Express was launched by Shri Ghulam Nabi Azad, Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare
at Alwar, Rajasthan.It has been launched to protect children from life-threatening childhood diseases.
74. under the Ksheera Bhagya scheme launched in karnataka over 65 lakh school children in 51,000 Government schools and 39
lakh children in anganwadi centres across the State will now receive 150 ml of milk three times a week
75. To ensure availability of loans at affordable rates for farmers, the government has approved a scheme for providing short-term
crop loans at concessional rate of 7 percent, "This scheme has
already been extended to crop loans borrowed from private
sector scheduled commercial banks in respect of loans given
within the service area of the branch concerned
76. A modern and sophisticated breast milk bank, stated to be the
first in India in the public sector, was inaugurated at the
premier state-run SSKM hospital in kolkata. The bank was being
funded by the National Health Renewal Mission and equipment
procured and the recruitment process done.
6. INFORMATION BASED ON AGRICULTURE AND CULTURE:
a) Top 5 production states and countries:
states : Uttar Pradesh(34%),Punjab(22%), Haryana(13%),
Madhya Pradesh(10%), Rajasthan(9%),
Countries: China, India, USA, Russia, France, Pakistan
Major export destinations: Bangladesh, Korea, Yemen,
United Arab Emirates, Djibouti, Ethiopia and Indonesia
states: West Bengal, Andhra pradesh, Utter pradesh, Punjab,
Countries: China, India, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Vietnam
Major exporters in world: Thailand, Vietnam, Pakistan,
States: Uttar pradesh, Maharashtra, Tamilnadu, Karnataka,
Countries: Brazil, India, China, Thailand, Pakistan
States: Madhya pradesh, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Uttar pradesh, Karnataka
States: Uttar pradesh, Rajasthan, Andhra pradesh, Gujarat, Punjab
Countries: India, USA, China, Pakistan, Russian federation
b) Revolutions in the field of agriculture in India:
. Black Revolution - Petroleum Production
. Blue Revolution - Fish Production
. Brown Revolution - Leather/non-conventional(India)/Cocoa production
. Golden Fiber Revolution - Jute Production
. Golden Revolution - Fruits/Overall Horticulture development/Honey Production
. Green Revolution - Food grains
. Grey Revolution - Fertilizer
. Pink Revolution - Onion production/Pharmaceutical (India)/Prawn production
. Red Revolution - Meat & Tomato Productio
. Round Revolution - Potato
. Silver Fiber Revolution - Cotton
. Silver Revolution - Egg/Poultry Productio
. White Revolution (In India: Operation Flood) - Milk/Dairy production
. Yellow Revolution - Oil Seeds production
. Evergreen Revolution - Overall development of Agriculture .
c) Crop Seasons:
. Rabi Crop:The term Rabi means "spring" in Arabic, and the rabi crops are grown between the months mid November to April.
Sowing season: October - December
Harvesting season: February - April
Important Crops: Wheat, Barley, Gram, Linseed, Mustard, Masoor, Pea and Potatos
. Kharif crop refers to the planting, cultivation and harvesting of any domesticated plant sown in the rainy (monsoon) season
and it starts in June and to end in October
Sowing season: May - July
Harvesting season: September to October
Important Crops: Jower, Bajra, Rice, Maize, Cotton, Groundnut, Jute, Hemp, Sugarcane, Tobacco etc
. Zaid crops On the Indian sub-continent, the crops grown on irrigated lands which do not have to wait for monsoons, in the
short duration between Rabi and Kharif crop season, mainly from March to June, are called Zaid crops (also written as Zayad
crops). The main produce are seasonal fruits and vegetables.
Sowing season: August - September
Harvesting season: December - January
Important Crops: Rice, Jowar, Rapeseed, Cotton, Oilseeds
. Zaid rabi crops:Zaid Rabi crops are sown in Februry - March
Harvesting is in April - may
Important Crops: Water melon, Toris, Cucumber, leafy and Other vegetables
d) Top 5 dams and hydro power plants in India:
. Tehri Dam: on Bhagirathi River, Uttarakhand with Installed capacity: 1,000 MW.
. Bhakra nangal Dam: on Sutlej River, Punjab and Himachal Pradesh with Installed capacity: 1325 MW.
. Hirakud Dam: On Mahanadi River, Orissa with the Installed capacity: 307.5 MW.
. Nagarjuna sagar Dam: on Krishna River, Andhra Pradesh with Installed capacity: 816 MW.
. Sardar Sarovar Dam: on Narmada River, Gujarat with Installed capacity: 1,450 MW.
e) Nuclear power plants in India:
. Narora atomic power plant - Narora, UP
. Rajasthan atomic power plant, Rawatbhatta, Rajasthan
. Tarapur atomic power plant - Tarapur, Maharashtra
. Kakarpar atomic power plant - Kakarpar, Gujarat
. Madras atomic power plant - Kalpakkam, Tamilnadu
. Kaiga atomic power plant - Kaiga, Karnataka
. Kundankullam (under construction): tirunelveli, Tamilnadu
f) Wind power plants:
. Muppandal wind farm - Tamilnadu
. Vankusawade Wind Park - Maharashtra
. Vankusawade Wind Park - Karnataka
. Madhya Pradesh Wind Farm - Madhya pradesh
. Kanjikode Wind Farm - Kerala
g) Thermal power plants:
. Vindyachal power plant - Madhya pradesh
. Talcher power plant - Orissa
. Ramagundam power plant - Andhra pradesh
. Korba power plant - Chhattisgarh
. Dadri power plant - UP
. Singrauli power plant - MP
. Farakka power plant - West Bengal
h) Folk dances in India
. Bathukamma :A folk dance of Andhra Pradesh.
. Bhangra: This is a folk dance from the Northwest Indian state of Punjab. It is a lively, powerful dance.
. Bihu: Bihu is a folk dance from Assam. It is a very brisk and aggressive dance performed by both boys and girls.
. Changu: The changu dance is a folk dance found in Odissa and Andhra Pradesh. It derives its name from the changu, which
is a simple tambourine (daf) that is used to accompany this dance.
. Dandaria: A folk dance of Andhra Pradesh.
. Dhamal: 1) A folk dance of Punjab. 2) A folk dance of Andhra Pradesh
. Gair: This is a dance of Rajasthan. It is performed by groups of dancers moving in and out with an almost military precision.
. Garba: This is a folk dance from Gujarat. It is traditionally danced at marriages and during the time of Navaratri.
. Gatka: A folk dance utilising swords, daggers, or sticks performed in the Punjab
. Ghoomar: This is a folk dance of Rajasthan. It derives its name from its characteristic pirouettes.
. Gobbi: A folk dance of Andhra Pradesh.
. Karagam: This is a folk dance of Tamil Nadu. It is played with a pot balanced on the head.
. Raas: This is a folk dance from Gujarat. It is traditionally danced at marriages and during the time of Navaratri.
. Yaksha Gana: This is a folk theatre from the south Indian state of Karnatika
. Dumhal: A folk dance of Kashmir.
. Padayani: Padayani is one of the most colorful and popular dances of Southern Kerala. Padayani is associated with the
festival of certain temples, called Padayani or Paddeni.
. Dollu Kunitha: Dollu Kunitha is a popular drum dance of Karnataka state.
. Lavani: Lavani is a folk dance of Maharashtra.
. Kathak: Kathak is a dance form basically from Uttar Pradesh.
. Bharatnatyam: It is the purest form of dancing in india, originated in tamil nadu. These three concepts cpome into play in
bharatnatyam dance; bhava, thala and raga.
. Kuchipudi: It is a form of classical and folk dance that originated in Andhra Pradesh.
. Kathakali: Classical dance of kerela.
. Odissi: Folk dance performed in Orissa.
. Chau: A popular dance performed in Orissa, bihar and west Bengal
. Kalbelia, chari, fire, kacchi: Popular dance forms in Rajasthan.
. Dindi dance: performed in Maharashtra.
7. OTHER INFORMATION:
1. Pakistani girl Malala Yousafzai has given her first public speech in New York on her 16th birthday on July 12, a day that would
now be marked as 'Malala Day'.
2. A New Variety of Mango was named Nirbhaya after Delhi Rape Victim at Uttar Pradesh's famous mango centre Malihabad.
3. The Central Information Commission (CIC) in a landmark judgement held political parties are answerable under the Right to
Information Act, setting a new bench mark in transparency in politics.
4. First all-women police station opened in Arunachal.
5. The Tourism Ministry has roped in ONGC to maintain cleanliness and hygiene at 6 tourist destinations across the country, as
part of its Clean India campaign. According to the action plan finalised by the Ministry, ONGC will adopt 6 monuments - Taj
Mahal at Agra, Ellora Caves and Elephanta Caves in Maharashtra, Red Fort in Delhi, Golkonda Fort in Hyderabad and
Mahabalipuram in Tamil Nadu.
6. India proposed China to be principal guest country at the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) 2014.
7. Government constituted a Committee headed by JS Mathur to revise Newspaper Advertisement Rates.
8. The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) has been set up a committee headed by WCD Additional
Secretary K. Ratna Prabha to finalize modalities for a media campaign against indecent portrayal of women in mass media.
9. Canara Bank to open MSME branches in Tiruchi, Perambalur.
10. The 7th Regional Pravasi Bhartiya Divas will be held in Sydney from the 10th to 12th of November this year. The aim of the
Regional Pravasi Bharatiya Divas – or Overseas Indian Conference - is to connect India with its vast Indian Diaspora and
bringing their knowledge, expertise and skills together.
11. Pipavav Port the first private sector port of India located in Saurashtra, Gujarat Regained Top Position in Seafood Exports on
the basis of quantity.
12. The Assam government has decided to promote religious tourism in the state and In "Ambubachi Mela" at the famous
Kamakhya Temple is the first step in this direction.
13. The world’s tallest twisted tower “Infinity Tower” was launched in Dubai Marina on 10 June 2013,Bollywood actor Ajay
Devgn, Bangladeshi singer Runa Lailaand Oscar-winning Pakistani filmmaker. Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy have been named as
SAARC Goodwill Ambassadors for HIV/AIDS.
14. India Proposed Hydrocarbon Pipeline from Kazakhstan like TAPI.
15. AirAsia ties up with TATA to start Airline in India.
16. Ajmal Kasab hanged and buried in Pune's Yerwada Jail.
17. Mangalam village became the first village in India where all households were provided banking facilities, it is situated in
18. India’s First River-lake link project launched In Bundelkhand.
19. Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne released a book titled "Victory India - A Key to Quality Military Leadership" authored by Colonel
Vinay B Dalvi (Retd) at the Air Headquarters.
20. Jaipur Literature Festival’s theme is “Buddha in literature”. Spritual leader Dalai Lama will be the chief guest at the festival.
21. Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari did 4 day visit to Uzbekistan.
22. Afghan President Hamid Karzai arrived on a three day visit to India to discuss Various issues of bilateral and regional concerns
23. Japanese PM Abe on historic visit to Myanmar (the first visit by a Japanese head of government since 1977) for strengthening
economic ties on agenda.
24. Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa arrived in China on 6th China visit.
25. The Foreign Minister of Cuba, Bruno Rodriguez Parrilla paid an official visit to India from 25 May 2013 to 27 May 2013.
26. New Zealand Foreign Minister Murray McCully visited India on an official visit.
27. Argentinian Foreign Minister, Hector Marcos Timerman visite India on 4-day visit.
28. Secretary of State John Kerry arrived in India on 3-day visit onto participate in the 4th round of Indo-US strategic dialogue
29. President Pranab Mukherjee was Chief Guest at the 45th Mauritius Independence Day celebrations on the 12th march. India
and Mauritius signed several agreements in areas of health and medicine, tourism and welfare of senior citizens and the
30. Arun Jaitley, Karan Singh and Sharad Yadav Selected For Parliamentarian Award for 2010, 2011 and 2012 respectively.
31. Union minister Kapil Sibal launched (a web based) Electronics Project Proposal System (e-PPS) in march 2013, which will
Support Online submission of project proposals, Evaluation of proposals by experts, Project recommendations, Project
32. The Communications and Information Technology Minister, Kapil Sibal has inaugurated India's First All Women Employees
Post Office at Shastri Bhawan in New Delhi on the occasion of the International Women's Day, All the counters of this Post
Office will be manned by women employees only.
33. Postage Stamp Released on the Commemorative Sahir Ludhianvi (a renowned Urdu poet)by the President of India, Pranab
Mukherjee on 8 March 2013 on occasion of his birth anniversary.
34. UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi laid the foundation stone of a residential, educational-cum- vocational training centre
‘ANANDA’ for persons with autism spectrum disorders at village Gairatpur Bass in Gurgaon. the centre will be developed by
an NGO named Action for Autism on about 10 acres of land.
35. S. Venkata Mohan a scientist of the Indian Institute of Chemical Technology for his contributions towards developing
technologies for production of clean bio-fuels from waste, won the National Bioscience Award for 2012 in Hyderabad.
36. Rajasthan celebrated its 63rd foundation day On 30th March, it was formed on 30th March 1949.
37. Odisha celebrated its 77th foundation day on 1st april.
38. New tough anti-rape law comes into force, it will now be called the Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, 2013.
39. Wi-Fi, internet facility in Howrah Rajdhani launched.
40. Param Yuva II - India's fastest supercomputer and the 62nd fastest supercomputer in the world.
41. PM of Singapore Lee Hsien Loong visited India.
42. London became no.1 Fashion City of the world (earlier it was Paris)
43. Smiling Armadillo to be the official Mascot of 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil
44. Japan unveils plan to phase out nuclear power by 2030.
45. South Korea Became first country in Asia to Order Chemical Castration of Child Rapist.
46. Iran and Pakistan launched Gas Pipeline Project of 7.5 billion dollar gas pipeline project which will link Iran's gas pipeline to that
47. Japan Became First Country in the World to Extract Natural Gas from Methane Hydrate by March 2013.
48. World Celebrates Earth hour on 23 March With the ongoing theme “Ï will if you will " to save the planet earth & Save energy,
the fuels, the bills over the fuels and reduce Carbon emissions for a cleaner and better tomorrow is the message from Earth
49. Kuwait is the fattest country in the world, with the highest average body mass index or the BMI. The Men in Kuwait have BMI
of 27.5 while the women have a BMI of 31.4.
50. MoU Signed Between Mysore Zoo and Leipzig Zoo in Germany for Transporting Four Sloth Bears.
51. North Korea declares 'state of war' with South Korea and warned that any provocation would swiftly escalate into a nuclear
52. The most powerful ever seen cyberattack in history "bazooka" slowed down traffic on internet.
53. United Arab Emirates (UAE) Inaugurated World’s Largest Solar Power Plant of cost 600-million dollar project named “Shams 1”
at Madinat Zayed by the President of UAE and the Ruler of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan on 17 March 2013
which is aimed at providing electricity to 20000 homes.
54. World's Largest Private Yacht named Azzam Launched by German Shipyard With 94000 horsepower generated from two gas
turbines ad two diesel engines, the Azzam can reach speeds of over 55.5kph, which makes it one of the fastest yachts in the
55. India's first interoperable RIFD-based (interoperable Radio Frequency Identification Device) electronic automatic toll collection
system launched in Maharashtra at Charoti Toll Plaza, Dahanu in Thane District, system was rolled out on the Ahmedabad-
Mumbai National Highway.,"
56. Courts in Pakistan have disqualified former president Pervez Musharraf for contesting parliamentary elections for suspending
the constitution and imposing emergency in 2007 during his rule.
57. Croatia becomes 28th EU member state .
58. According to UN report India is on track to meet the United Nations' Millennium Development Goal (MDG) of poverty
reduction by 2015
59. The European Union has officially approved Latvia as the 18th member of the eurozone, which uses the bloc’s common
currency. Latvia will adopt the euro on January 1, 2014.
60. The Union Cabinet approved setting up of two National level universities in Uttar Pradesh. The Rajiv Gandhi National
Aviation University and Indira Gandhi National University for Women, IGNUW, will be set up in Rae Bareli district. will be the
first university in the country exclusively for women.
61. The 163-year old telegram service in the country comes to an end. Started in 1850.
62. The city of Incheon in South Korea has been named World Book Capital for the year 2015 by an international committee of
experts representing the book industry and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
63. UNESCO included the writings of Cuban Revolution leader Ernesto “Che” Guevara in its Memory of the World Register.
64. Ford Motor Company became First Automaker to Participate in the Greenhouse Gas Reporting Programme in
India.Voluntary reporting enables a complete transparency in terms of the carbon dioxide emissions.
65. Bollywood actor and UNICEF (United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund) Goodwill Ambassador Amitabh
Bachchan joined the UN and its humanitarian partners to promote The World Needs More global campaign.
66. Group of Twenty (G-20) summit was held at St. Peters burg in Russia.The summit will focus on issues pertaining to the
economic growth throughout the developed world.
67. In defiance of the United States, two Latin American countries Venezuela and Nicaragua offered asylum to Edward
Snowden, leaker of the US secretive surveillance programme.
68. Luxembourg Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker, Europe's longest-serving leader that he would step down over a scandal
involving the secret services, who allegedly indulged in a spate of misconduct on his watch
69. The Union Health Ministry announced former Indian cricket team captain Rahul Dravid as brand ambassador for its National
Tobacco Control Campaign.
70. China seeks to boost military ties with Bangladesh
71. London will host the ninth World Islamic Economic Forum in October
72. For the first time, the Election Commission used the paper trail system along with the Electronic Voting Machines in the
Nagaland by-election.The system, called the Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail system (VVPAT), will accompany the Electronic
Voting Machines (EVM).
73. DRDO developing chilli-spray for women's self-defence
74. INS Arihant nuclear reactor activated
75. The insurance arm of Anil Ambani-led Reliance Group has announced its entry into India's agriculture insurance business,
saying it would offer farmers insurance cover for their crops against adverse weather conditions.
76. The state-owned iron National Mineral Development Corporation Power Ltd. signed an Mou with the IL&FS Energy
Development Ltd to set up a 500-MW power plant at Gonda in Uttar Pradesh.
77. Tata Steel was adjudged the Best Performing Integrated Steel Plant in the country for the year 2011-12
78. Kudankulam to start generating 1,000 MW of power by the end of October
79. Yahoo beats Google in US with 197 million visitors in July
8. NEW APPOINTMENTS IN INDIA
1. Justice P Sathasivam - next (40th) Chief Justice of India (CJI) (by suceeding Altamas Kabir).
2. K N Shanth Kumar - PTI Chairman (succeeded R Lakshmipathy)
3. K R Kamath Re-Elected - Chairman of Indian Banks' Association (IBA).
4. Rami Hamdallah - New Prime Minister of Palestine.
5. Sudha Sharma - New CBDT chief.
6. Thomas Mathew - New Chairman Of LIC succeeded D K Mehrotra, retired on 31 May.
7. Mahendra Mohan Gupta -Vice Chairman of PTI.
8. S Gopalakrishnan - new President of CII.
9. M F Farooqui - new Telecom Secretary
10. Deepak Sandhu - first woman Chief Information Commissioner (replaced Satyananda Mishra).
11. Rahul Dravid - Brand ambassador for Tobacco control campaign.
12. Rakesh Sood - Prime Minister’s Special Envoy for Disarmament and Non-Proliferation.
13. Anil Goswami - New Union Home Secretary (by replacing R.K Singh).
14. Shashi Kant Sharma - New CAG (Comptroller and Auditor General) of India (by succeeding Vinod Rai)
15. Radha Krishna Mathur - Indian Defence Secretary (succeeded Shashikant Sharma).
16. V Hariharan - Secretary of the All India chess federation.
17. Mittu Chandilya - chief executive of AirAsia India.
18. Lt. Gen. Nirbhay Sharma - new Governor of Arunanchal Pradesh.
19. Siddaramaiah - C.M. of Karnataka.
20. Aruna Bahuguna - First Women Special DG of CRPF.
21. Nirbhay Sharma - Governor of Arunachal Pradesh.
22. Krishna Kumar Natrajan (CEO and Director of Mindtree) - New Chief of NASSCOM (replaced N Chandrasekaran).
23. PJ Kurien - Chairman of Asian forum of Parliamentarians (replaced Yasuo Fukuda, former P M of Japan)
24. Vinod Rai - Re-Elected As Chairman of UN Panel of External Auditors.
25. Sidharth Birla (Chairman of Xpro India Ltd and Digjam Ltd) - Senior Vice-President of FICCI.
26. Justice D.K. Jain - new Chairman of Law Commission.
27. Shyamala Gopinath - New Clearing Corporation of India Ltd
28. Jawahar Sircar - New CEO of Prasar Bharti.
29. Rajiv Takru - Secretary of Financial Services in the Finance
Ministry replacing Dinesh Kumar.
30. P.R. Vasudeva Rao - Director of the IGCAR (Indira Gandhi
Centre for Atomic Research) replacing S.C Chetal.
31. Asoke Kumar Mukerji - Next Permanent Representative of
India to the UN.
32. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan as International Goodwill
Ambassador – UNAIDS (UN Programme on HIV/AIDS).
33. Mary Kom - Brand Ambassador of Super Fight League (SPL) .
34. Rajan Bharti Mittal - president of International Chamber of
Commerce (ICC) India.
35. Gregg Clark - Coach of the Junior Hockey Men’s National
36. K K Paul - Meghalaya governor replacing Ranjit Shekhar
37. Sunil Soni - Director General of Bureau of Indian Standards
38. Shriniwas Patil - new governor of Sikkim.
39. R. Chandrasekhar (the former Secretary Department of
Telecommunications (DoT)) - Nasscom President, succeeding
current Nasscom President Som Mittal, whose tenure expires
in January 2014
40. Hazem El-Beblawi - new Prime Minister of Egypt by the
Interim President Adly Mansour.
41. Francisco Garcia (Spain) - as head coach of the Indian senior
women’s basketball team.
42. Hemant Soren (Jharkhand Mukti Morcha leader) - Chief
Minister of Jharkhand.
43. Abdul Rahim Rather (Jammu & Kashmir Finance Minister) - new Chairman of the Empowered Committee of State Finance
Ministers on GST.
44. Arvind Sharma (Chairman and CEO of Leo Burnett, India) - President of Advertising Agencies Association of India (AAAI)
45. Professor Mahendra P. Lama - new pro-vice-chancellor of the Indira Gandhi National Open University(IGNOU).
46. Sujatha Singh - India’s new foreign secretary. Sujatha Singh is the third woman to head the Foreign services after Chokila Iyer
and Nirupama Rao.
47. Kumar Iyer - Director general for UK Trade and Investment (UKTI) in India appointed by the British government.
48. Rajeev Rishi - Chairman and Managing Director of Central Bank of India.
49. Arundhati Bhattacharya – MD and chief financial officer of State Bank of India(SBI). She is the first female managing director at
SBI she succeeded Diwakar Gupta
50. Rakesh Sethi - Executive Director of the Union Bank of India.
51. Dilip Trivedi - new chief of CRPF.
52. D.Bala Venkatesh Varma - next Ambassador and Permanent Representative of India to the UN Conference on Disarmament,
53. Shri Ratan Thiyam - Chairperson of the National School of Drama Society.
54. Deepak Sandhu - first woman Chief Information Commissioner of the Central Information Commission. She succeeded
55. H.R. Mohan - New Vice President of Computer Society of India (CSI).
9. NEW APPOINTMENT IN WORLD
1. Sunil Bharti Mittal - Vice Chairman of International Chamber of Commerce
2. Satya Nadella(India-born) – New Microsoft CEO (succeed Steve Ballmer)
3. Sunil Kumar – New M Dof Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS).
4. Roberto Azevedo - Head of W.T.O. (replaced Pascal Lamy of France).
5. Susan Elizabeth Rice - National Security Adviser to Obama ( replaced Tom Donilon)
6. Ratan Tata - Chief Advisor of AirAsia India)
7. James Comey - next FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) Director of US.
8. Staffan de Mistura - Italian Special Envoy to India.
9. Dr. Christopher Briggs - Secretary General of the Ramsar Convention .
10. Takehiko Nakao – new President of ADB (Asian Development Bank) ( succeeded Haruhiko Kuroda)
11. Poonam Khetrapal Singh - first woman regional director of WHO from South-East Asia region.
12. Ashok Vemuri - the President and CEO of iGate Corporation.
13. Puneet Talwar - the Assistant Secretary of State for Political Military Affairs by the US President Barack Obama.
14. The new Argentine pope Jorge Mario Bergoglio (76) - new Pope becomes the 266th pontiff.
15. Thomas Bach (Germany) - 9th President of IOC ( succeeded Jacques Rogge of Belgium.)
16. Rangaswamy Srinivasan is the only Indian American re-nominated by Obama for the District of Columbia Circuit.
17. Elbegdorj Tsakhia – New Mongolia president.
18. Abdoulaye Bathily of Senegal - New Deputy Special Representative for the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated
Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA).
19. Satish Babu(Director, International Centre for Free and Open Source Software (ICFOSS)) – elected to 2014Nominating
Committee of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Numbers and Names (ICANN).
20. Samantha Power - US ambassador to United Nations. Samantha Power succeeded Susan Rice
21. Caroline Kennedy, daughter of former president John F Kennedy- envoy to Japan.
22. Mamnoon Hussain - 12th President of Pakistan and replace incumbent Asif Ali Zardari.
23. Hassan Rouhani - Iran's seventh President
24. Robert Mugabe –President of Zimbabwe
25. Pak Lt Gen Maqsood Ahmed - UN military advisor
10. PERSONS IN NEWS
1. Arunima Sinha – a National-level volleyball player with an artificial limb geared up to climb the world's highest peak - the Mt
Everest, accompanied by Sushen Mahto.
2. Xi Jinping takes - new China's President (succeeded Hu Jintao).
3. Li Keqiang - China's new Premier (succeeded Wen Jiabao).
4. Park Geun-hye - President of S. Korea (1st women president).
5. Uhuru Kenyatta- President of Kenya
6. Abdul Hamid - Bangladesh President.
7. Nicolas Maduro - New President of Venezuela
8. Uhuru Kenyatta - New President of Kenya
9. Giorgio Napolitano - re-elected as Italy's president.
10. Khil Raj Regmi (Chief Justice of Nepal) - Nepal's new Prime Minister to head an interim government
11. Rafael Correa - Ecuador’s President re-elected for a Third Term.
12. Shinzo Abe - New PM of Japan.
13. Tony Abott – New Australian PM
14. Abdul Hamid - Bangladesh's new president.
15. Giorgio Napolitano Re-elected as the President of Italy.
16. Millionaire Horacio Cartes wins Paraguay presidency.
17. Bobby Ghosh - Eeminent Indian Journalist became First non-American Editor of Time International.
18. Pop Benedict XVI – resigned due to poor health.
19. Sreeramamurthy Janaki- Refused to take Padma bhushan.
20. David Coleman Headley – US federal court sentenced imprisonment for 35yrs.
21. Bhanu Athaiya – First Indian to win Oscar decided to return her trophy.
22. Michael Hussey (Australian Cricketer)- announced Retirement from Test Cricket.
23. Rahi Sarnobat - first Indian Pistol Shooter to clinch a gold medal in the ISSF World Cup in Changwon, Korea.
24. Sunil Dutt – Resigned from his post he was BlackBerry’s India Managing Director.
25. Subra Suresh – Indian American Appointed as president of Carnegie Mellon
26. Ratan Tata- Elected as member of National Academy of Engineering.
1. Margaret Thatcher- Britain's first female PM
2. K P Bhaskar - Indian Classical Dance Maestro
3. Prof Bratindra Nath Mukherjee(Padma Shri Awardee) - the renowned historian and an epigraphy expert
4. Dr Hilary Koprowski - Developer of First Successful Oral Vaccination for Polio.
5. Shakuntala Devi (The Indian Mathematician also known as mental calculator and human computer)
6. Profulla Chandra Borua - Veteran journalist
7. ATP chairman Brad Drewett - Veteran journalist.
8. Lalgudi Jayaraman - Renowned Violinist and Composer Died at 82
9. Shamshad Begum - Legendary Singer
10. Rituparno Ghosh - National Award Winning Filmmaker
11. Uttanur Rajamma - veteran Bandaya Writer
12. Ray Harryhausen - the Master of Visual Effects
13. Ustad Zia Fariduddin Dagar - Dhrupad Vocalist
14. Surendra Tiwari - Hindi story writer and playwright
15. Anand Shetty - Former International Sprinter
16. Baleshwar Aggarwal -the veteran journalist
17. Jetti Veera Raghavulu - Telugu music director and playback singer
18. V C Shukla - Veteran Congress leader
19. India’s only Women Chief Election Commissioner Ramadevi 79 (Former Governor of Karnataka) Died.
20. Padma Shree Awardee Madhubani painting artist Mahasundari Devi died
21. Douglas Engelbart, the U.S. inventor who was known as the father of the computer mouse died.
22. H.A.B. Parpia (91), renowned food scientist and former Director of the Central Food Technological Research Institute (CFTRI),
23. Eminent Carnatic musician Nukala Chinna Satyanarayana passed away,a recipient of Padma Bhushan and several other
24. The winner of Dadasaheb Phalke Award and a veteran actor Pran died on About Pran Kishan Sikand
25. Veteran Tamil lyricist Vaali passes away at the age of 82 in Chennai.
26. British Indian actor Paul Bhattacharjee, who played the role of a doctor in James Bond film 'Casino Royale', has been found
27. Veteran Communist leader Samar Mukherjee died in Kolkata.
28. L Brojeshori Devi, the Olympian judo player passed away at Coimbatore
29. National Research Prof at the National Centre for Biological Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) Obaid
30. Noted producer T.S. Narasimhan, who filled life to the fictional Malgudi created by novelist R.K. Narayan through
“Malgudi Days”, directed by Shankar Nag, died.
31. Former Union Minister Arun Nehru passed away on
32. Veteran music director V Dakshinamoorthy passed
33. The Indian classical singer and music director, Pandit Raghunath Panigrahi passed away.
34. R P Goenka - Industrialist.
35. Zao Wou-ki - abstract Chinese painter.
36. Kamala Sadagopan - eminent Tamil Novelist and Writer.
37. Robert Edwards - Test-tube baby pioneer.
38. Professor Bratindra Nath Mukherjee - Renowned Historian
39. Leslie Claudius - Legendary hockey player and one of India's
greatest Olympians, passed away in Kolkata.
40. SK Varma - the former news editor of The Indian Express.
41. Hari Shankar Singhania, - the leading industrialist of India.
42. Radhakishan Malviya - the former Union Minister and Rajya
Sabha Member from Madhya Pradesh
43. Shanu Lahiri - Shanu Lahiri, the Renowned Bengali
44. P.Shanmugam. - Veteran Congress leader and
former Puducherry Chief Minister P Shanmugham died. in his
45. Jasuben Shilpi - Renowned sculptor Jasuben Shilpi, popularly
known as ‘The Bronze woman of India’, passed away in
46. M S Goplakrishnan- Violin maestro:
47. M.S. Udayamurthy – Tamil Writer.
48. Ravi Shankar- Music Composer.
49. Gerda Lerner - Founder member of National Organization for
50. Haradhan Bandopadhyay - Bengali Actor.
51. Koto Okubo - World’s Oldest Female died at 115.
52. Norman woodland- Inventor of Barcode.
53. Ruth Prawer Jhabvala - Oscar and Booker Prize winner writer.
54. K Venukuttan Nair - a well known theatre personality as well as
the Malayalam film actor.
55. Anthony Lewis - Pulitzer Prize-winner.
56. Kallam Anji Reddy - Dr Reddy's Laboratories Founder.
57. Actor Richard Griffiths - the Renowned Vernon Dursley of
58. Pietro Mennea - Italian Athlete.
59. Prof Veer Bhadra Mishra - Noted Environmentalist.
60. B Satyanarayana Reddy-Freedom fighter and former Governor of Uttar Pradesh
61. Yash chopra-Film Maker
62. Jaspal Bhatti-Comedian and satirist
63. Pt.Ravi Shankar- Music Composer
64. Joy Mukherjee- Film Actor
65. Mrinal Gore-Social Activist
66. Ranganath Misra -Former Chief Justice of India
67. Brajesh Mishra – First National Security Advisor of India
68. A.M. Govindarasu – Veteran communist leader & Freedom Fighter
Australian Open 2013:
. Men Single- Novak Djokovic(Serbia) bt Andy Murray(Britain).
. Women Single-Victoria Azarenka bt Li Na( china)
. Men Double- Bob & Mike Byan bt Robin haase & Igor Sijsling.
. Women Double- Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci(Italy) bt Ashlegh Barty and Casey Dellaqua
Wimbledon – 2013
. Men’s Single: Andy Murray(Britain) defeated Novak Djokovic (Serbia)
. Women’s Single: Marion Bartoli (France) defeated Sabine Lisick (Germany)
. Men’s Doubles: Bob and Mike Bryan defeated Dodig & M. Melo
French Open 2013:
. Men’s Single: Rafael Nadal Defeated David Ferrer.
. Women’s Single: Serena Willimas Defeated Maria Sharapova
. Men’s Doubles: Bob and Mike Bryan Defeated Michael Llodra & Nicolas Mahut
. Mixed doubles: Frantisek Cermak and Lucie Hradecka defeated Daniel Nestor and Kristina Mladenovic
Miami Open 2013
. Andy Murray beat David Ferrer
. Serena Williams beat Maria Sharapova.
Italian Open 2013
. Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federar
. Serena Williams defeated Victoria Azarenka
Madrid Open 2013
. Rafael Nadal beat Stanislas Wawrinka
. Serena Williams beat Maria Sharapova.
Australian Open 2013:
. Men Single: Novak Djokovic(Serbia) bt Andy Murray(Britain).
. Women Single-Victoria Azarenka bt Li Na( china)
. Men Double: Bob & Mike Byan bt Robin haase & Igor Sijsling.
. Women Double: Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci(Italy) bt Ashlegh Barty and Casey Dellaqua
2. Summer Olympics will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 2016.
3. Sudirman Cup – China defeated South Korea
4. PV Sindhu won Malaysia Badminton Grand Prix Title Gu Juan of Singapore.
5. Brazil beats Spain to win Confederations Cup 2013
6. Ace discus thrower Vikas Gowda clinched the first gold for India in the 20th Asian Athletics Championships in Pune
7. Chris Martin, the fast Bowler of New Zealand has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
8. K Srikanth clinched defeated Boonsak Ponsana to clinch the Thailand Open Grand Prix Badminton 2013
9. Sebastian Vettel defeated Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso to win Canadian Grand Prix
10. 4th Kabaddi World Cup will be held in Punjab in November 2013
11. BCB (Bangladesh Cricket Board) Former Bangladesh captain Mohammad Ashraful match-fixing charges in Bangladesh Premier
12. Bayern Munich won German Cup 2013 defeated Stuttgart
13. Ananya Gupta claimed a bronze medal in the World School Chess championship held at Haldikki in Greece
14. Ragala Venkat Rahul bags three Golds in Asian Youth Weightlifting
15. MS Dhoni becomes first captain to win all ICC trophies
16. Boxer Manjeet Singh won Silver medal at China Open:
17. Bolt won Jamaican 100 title to reach World Championships
18. Pune host Asian Athletic Championship meet in July
19. Delhi to host South Asian Junior Table Tennis
20. India win silver in Archery World Cup: Rajat Chouhan and Manjudha won silver medal at the World Cup (Stage-II) Archery
competition in Turkey.
21. Prasanna new Grand Master : V Vishnu Prasanna celebrated his new Grandmaster status by outwitting seasoned GM Boris
Chatalbashev of Bulgaria
22. Punjab beat Odisha to lift HI Jr. Men's National Ch'ship:
23. Australia became the third country after Japan and hosts Brazil to reach next summer's World Cup after sealing a dramatic late
win against Iraq.
24. Australia (CA) sacked Mickey Arthur and appointed Darren Lehmann as the new coach of the Australian team.
25. V Vishnu Prasanna celebrated his new Grandmaster status by outwitting seasoned GM Boris Chatalbashev of Bulgaria
26. Somyajeet Ghosh - become the youngest national Table Tennis Champion
27. Rupesh Shah clinched the 12th Asian Billiards championship title after beating compatriot Alok Kumar in the final
28. Preeti Beniwal won gold in 2013 Senior National Women's Boxing Championship
29. ICC Women’s World Cup 2013 - Australia defeated West Indies at Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai.
30. Grenke Chess Classic Trophy 2013 - Viswanathan Anand (India) after defeating Arkadij Naiditsch (Germany.)
31. Irani Trophy 2013 – Rest of India defeated Mumbai to clinch
32. National Weightlifting Championship 2013 - Manpreet Kaur.
33. Air India won Lal Bahadur Shastri hockey tournament against
34. Chandrika Tarafdar becomes the first Indian to win a medal in
Youth World Weightlifting Championship in Slovakia.
35. Jamjang Deru won silver in the 50 kg boys’ category at Tashkent, Uzbekistan in the world youth weightlifting championships
36. Rupesh Shah, the world champion won the 12th Asian Billiards championship at Indore Tennis Club, Indore in April 2013.
37. India wins 8 medals at the first Asian Grand Prix Archery Championship at Bangkok.
38. Djokovic retains ATP rankings leadin the men’s tennis rankings in the latest list issued on Monday by the ATP.
39. Anita Chanu wins bronze in Asian Judo Championships by defeating the judokas from Korea, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan.
40. Prayag Chauhan wins Asian Junior Boxing event by beating local boy Azat Ilyubayev in the lightweight category (60kg) in
41. Thomas Cup, Uber Cup finals to be held in India.
42. AITA nominates Somdev for Khel Ratna for the year 2013.
43. Hockey India recommends Sardar Singh for Khel Ratna award 2013.
44. PV Sindhu won Malaysia Badminton Grand Prix Title by defeating lower seed, Gu Juan of Singapore.
45. Men's National Hockey Championship for the Rangaswamy Cup hosted by Karnataka.
46. Indian Women's Compound Team which comprised Gagandeep Kaur, Trisha Deb, and P Lily Chanu won Bronze in Archery at
47. Rafael Nadal won Italian open 2013 by deafeating Roger Federar in the final match to lift his 7th Italian Open title.
48. Preeti Beniwal won gold in 2013 Senior National Women's Boxing Championship 2103 in the event held at Khatima,
uttarakhand, Preeti out-punched Manipur's Y Sandhya in the final of the 60kg category.
49. The International Cricket Council has decided to withdraw elite panel umpire Asad Rauf from the ICC Champions Trophy 2013
that will be staged in England and Wales next month.
50. The 3rd Hockey India senior men's national championship held in Pune at the Shiv Chattrapati Sports Complex and Major
Dhyan Chand Hockey stadium in nearby Pimpri town from 28th May to 10th June.
51. England will host 2019 Cricket World Cup.
52. Odisha clinched the boy’s title while Haryana won the girl’s championship at the 3rd National Sub-Junior Hockey tournament.
53. Asian Athletics Ch’ships to be held in Pune from July.
54. K Srikanth clinched the Thailand Open Badminton 2013 by defeating Boonsak Ponsana in Bangkok.
55. Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel wins Canadian Grand Prix by defeating Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso in Montreal.
56. Asian Athletic Championship held in Pune from 3rd to 7th July.
57. ICC to hold its 1st World Test Ch’ship in Eng in 2017.
58. Top seeded Indian Grand Master Parimarjan Negi won the Continental Chess Association Open title.
59. World soccer body FIFA again banned Iraq from holding any friendly football matches due to soaring violence, just three
months after the ban was lifted.
60. Parvez Rasool first from J&K team in Indian cricket squad.
61. Indian woman shooter Lajja Goswami has bagged a silver medal in 50 meter riffle three position in I S S F, World Shooting
Championship in Spain.
62. Shiva Thapa reaffirmed his status as the rising star of Indian boxing as he became the youngest pugilist to clinch a gold medal in
the 56 kg category at the Asian Championships in Amman, Jordan.The silver medals came through L Devendro Singh (49kg) and
Mandeep Jangra (69kg), while the bronze was bagged by Manoj Kumar (64kg).
63. The International Cricket Council has announced that the ace Leg spinner Shane Warne will be inducted into the ICC Cricket
Hall of Fame
64. Grandmaster and former world junior champion Abhijeet Gupta has won the Commonwealth Chess Championship title.
65. Devendra Jhajharia became the first differently-abled Indian to win a gold at the IPC Athletics World Championships by winning
the javelin throw at the sixth edition of the event in Lyon, France and he will be rewarded Rs five lakh by the Railways
66. India's K Jennitha Anto has won the 13th IPCA World Women's Individual Chess Championship title for the disabled players.
67. Shane Warne, the spin legend retired from all forms of cricket officially. He announced retiring from Twenty20 League, thereby
ending the overall competitive cricket career.
68. India lift SAFF U-16 football title by winning against Nepal
69. Grandmaster Parimarjan Negi, the chess player from India won the Denmark's Politiken Cup at Copenhagen, Denmark
70. Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova topped the Forbes list of highest-paid female athletes for the ninth straight year.
71. Star Sports appointed Indian cricket team captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni as brand ambassador to promote Premier League
football in India.
72. India's rising shuttler P V Sindhu settles for bronze medal in World Championship
73. Sowjanya Bavisetti of India has emerged winner in the 10,000 dollar Internalional Tennis Federation (ITF) Women's Tennis
Tournament in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt.
74. India named Sardar Singh as the captain of the 18-member squad in the Asia Cup hockey tournament, which is scheduled to
take place in Ipoh, Malaysia.
75. French Lawn Tennis Player and Wimbledon 2013 (Women’s Singles) winner Marion Bartoli announced her retirement during
the Western & Southern Open at Lindner Family Tennis Centre in Cincinnati, Ohio.
76. Second seed Victoria Azarenka defeated World No. 1 Serena Williams to win her first Western and Southern Open tennis title.
77. Asian Games will be held in Incheon, South Korea in September 2014
78. Jamaican track star Usain Bolt is considering retiring after the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janerio
79. Sudhakar Jayant has won gold medal at the IWF World Masters weightlifting championships, held in Turin, Italy.
80. Lewis Hamilton won the Hungarian Grand Prix from pole position to clinch his first victory of a frustrating season.
1. Dadasaheb Phalke Award 2013 – Pran Krishan Sikand (Bollywood actor, mostly known as Pran).
2. Saraswati Samman (2013) – Sugathakumari, ( the Malayalam poetess for the poetry collection ‘Manalezhuthu’, which
means The Writing on the Sand in English.
3. Moorti Devi Award (2012) – Gopichand Narang.
4. Bihari Puraskar (2012) – Hariram Meena for his hindi novel Dhooni Tape Teer
5. Vyas Samman (2012) – Narendra Kohli for his novel “Na bhooto na bhavishyati”
6. Indira Gandhi International Award - Ellen Johnson Sirleaf for 2012(president of Liberia)
7. Indira Gandhi Award for National Intergration – Sampooran Singh Kalra (GULJAR)
8. The Oscars 2013 (ceremony was held at Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, California).
Life of Pi, with 4 awards
a) Best Directing: Ang Lee for Life of Pi
b) Best Cinematography: Claudio Miranda for Life of Pi
c) Best Music-Original Score: Mychael Danna for Life of Pi
d) Best Visual Effects: Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik-Jan De Boer and Donald R. Elliott for Life of Pi
e) best film award ;Argo (with 3 awards)
f) best Actor award :Daniel Day-Lewis wins for 'Lincoln'.
g) best Actoress award: Jennifer Lawrence for 'Silver Linings Playbook'
9. 'Women of courage award' - The US State Department awarded one of the 2013 International Women of Courage Awards to
10. Tagore Peace Prize- Shihab Ghanem (the first Arab) he will officially receive the Tagore award in a ceremony to be held
in Kolkata, India on May 6, 2013.
11. The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee on 4 March 2013 conferred with the Liberation War Honour Award for his
contribution to 1971 war by the President of Bangladesh, Zillur Rahman.
12. Five Writers honoured with SAARC Literature Award 2013.
a) Abhay K (A poet-diplomat)- India.
b) Farheen Chaudhary- Pakistan.
c) Abdul Khaliq Rashid- Afghanistan.
d) Suman Pokhrel – Nepal.
e) Daya Dissanayake- Sri Lanka(novelist).
13. Global Competition Review (GCR) Awards 2013 - Competition Commission of India (CCI) (Nominated).
14. Madhya Pradesh bagged two national tourism awards: One for the best civic management of a tourist destination and other for
the most innovative and unique tourism project in the 23rd National Tourism Award.
15. ICSI Life Time Achievement Award for the year 2012 was conferred upon Deepak S. Parekh, Chairman, Housing Development
Finance Corporation Ltd.
16. 44th Dada Saheb Phalke Award (2013)- Legendary actor, Pran Krishan Sikand.
17. First timr an Indian-Origin Economist Raj Chetty the professor in the Department of Economy at the Harvard University Won
John Bates Clark Medal For 2013, which is also called Baby Nobel.
18. Navjot Singh conferred with the Sher-i-Kashmir Award who became the youngest (16 years) athlete of Jammu and Kashmir to
be conferred with the Sher-i-Kashmir Sports Award.
19. Ravuri Bharadwaja, 86, the Telgu writer was selected for the
prestigious Jnanpith Award 2012 for his contributions to Telgu
20. The Malayalam film directed by Ranjith has won the P A Backer
Foundation award for best movie `Spirit’ in the year 2012.
21. Singer Asha Bhosle, actress Mala Sinha, late filmmaker Yash
Chopra, and late superstar Rajesh Khanna among several
others conferred with Phalke Academy awards.
22. Major Anup Joseph Manjali was awarded the second-highest
peacetime gallantry award Kirti Chakra by President Pranab
Mukherjee in New Delhi for killing three foreign militants in
Jammu and Kashmir.12 defence personnel were awarded the
Shaurya Charkra for their acts of bravery including Captain A
Rahul Ramesh and Naik Krishna Kumar who were given the
23. Jenita Mary a young woman scientist from Meghalaya has
been selected for this year's ISRO Young Scientist Award.
24. The Pakistani activist Malala Yousafzai (15), UNA-USA's Global
Leadership Award called Champion for Global Change Award
25. The Madhya Pradesh Government’s Cottage and Village
Industry Department has bagged United Nations Public Service
Award for year 2013
26. Kerala CM Oommen Chandy won UN’s Public Service Award for
'mass contact programme'on the occasion of UN Public Service
Day ceremonies held from 24th to 27th June, 2013 in Bahrain.
27. Pratibha Ray Conferred With the 47th Jnanpith Award for the
Year 2011 in may 2013 at Balyogi Auditorium in New Delhi. The
award includes cash prize of 11 lakh Rupees, a citation as well
as bronze replica of Goddss Saraswati.
28. In recognition of her work with Adivasi (Indigenous) communities in India, Dayamani Barla was chosen by Cultural Survival,
an Indigenous Peoples rights organization, as the winner of the 2013 Ellen L. Lutz Indigenous Rights Award.
29. A short film based on the project- affected people of Tarapur Atomic Power Station has won the 'Yellow Oscar' award at the
Uranium Film Festival at Rio-de-Janeiro, Brazil.
30. NTR Literary Award which carries a cash prize of 1 lakh Rupees and citation presented to Noted Oriya writer Manoj Das for
contribution to literature, both in Odiya and English.
31. American writer Lydia Davis has won the 5th Man Booker International Prize.
32. Chief Minister Oommen Chandy’s won the prestigious United Nations Public Service Award for 2013.
33. Former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam was conferred with the US-based National Space Society’s (NSS) Wernher von Braun
Memorial Award in San Diego.
34. Sathwik Karnik Wins National Geographic Bee Contest
35. Asom Ratna Award (posthumously) to Late Smt. Indira Goswami.
36. Srimanta Shankardeva Award to Smt. Sharmila Tagore, she is said as a goodwill ambassador for UNICEF.
37. Anupam Kher Won 3rd Asian Award for his performances in movies like “Silver Linings Playbook“, “Bride & Prejudice“, and
“Bend it Like Beckham“.
38. Triple Emmy Award winning actor James Gandolfini dies after a heart attack.
39. India bagged 3 top awards including the Best Feature Film (“Paan Singh Tomar”), the Best Director (Tigmanshu
Dhulia ) and Special Jury Certificate of Recognition (Kaushal Oza for his documentary “Afterglow” )at the third SAARC Film
Festival in Colombo.
40. Kevin Barry, the Irish author won 100000 Euro International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award for his debut novel, “City of
41. Huga Chavez was posthumously awarded Venezuela journalism prize.
42. Healthcare Economist Dr Mukesh Hariawala was recently conferred the prestigious ‘Indian Healthcare Visionary of the
Decade’ award for Unveiling a unique and novel customized universal health insurance model for all 1.2 billion Indians calling
it ‘Womb to Tomb’, concept.
43. The International Data Group (IDG) Computer world Honours Program, Computer world Honors Laureate has honored
Government of India initiative UIDAI with 21st Century Achievement Award 2013 under the category ‘Economic
44. Adam Johnson’s novel “The Orphan Master’s son” won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 2013.
45. The 3 times World Formulae One champion Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel from Germany won the Bahrain Grand Prix 2013 on
21 April 2013 by defeating Lotus drivers Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean.
46. Djokovic won the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters Tournament by defeating Nadal.
47. Assam Topped the Medal Tally of 20th National Archery Championship by claiming four gold medals.
48. Rupesh Shah Won ONGC 12th Asian Billiards championship at Indore Tennis Club, Indore on 7 April 2013.
49. Singer Hariharan Conferred With the Lata Mangeshkar Samman Alankaran 2013.
50. American writer Lydia Davis won 5th Man Booker International Prize 2013.
51. US singer-songwriter Carole King Became the First Woman to Receive the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular
52. Indian-origin boy Sathwik Karnik, 12 from Massachusetts has won National Geographic Bee contest after grueling rounds
testing his geographic knowledge about lions in Botswana, mountain ranges in Asia and port cities in England. National
Geographic Bee is an annual geography contest sponsored by the National Geographic Society since 1989.
53. Tan Twan Eng, the Malaysian author was declared as the winner of Walter Scott Prize 2013 for his English fiction novel The
Garden of Evening Mists.
54. Former CAG Vinod Rai received Manappuram award under the category of civil servant achieving excellence in public
55. Russian Film “the Major” won Golden Goblet for best feature film at the 16th at Shangahi International Film Festival.
56. Vandana Gandhi became the first ever Indian woman to receive Dubai Government's coveted Emirates Woman Award for
business excellence in June 2013.
57. IIFA 2013:
a) Vidya Balan got the Best Actress Award at for Kahaani.
b) Ranbir Kapoor was named Best Actor for Barfi
c) The best debut actors are Yami Gautam and Ayushmann Khurrana.
d) 'English Vinglish' helmer Gauri Shinde bagged the best debut director award.
e) Former couple Ranbir and Deepika Padukone won best Jodi award.
f) Gangs of Wasseypur won two awards, one for Best Action (Shyam Kaushal) and the other for Best Dialogue (Zeishan Quadri,
Akhilesh, Sachin Ladia and Anurag Kashyap) was shared with Juhi Chaturvedi for Vicky Donor.
g) The award for Best Editing was won by Kahaani (Namrata Rao) and Best Choreography went to Ganesh Acharya for
h) Ek Tha Tiger won the award for Best Special Effects (Pankaj Khanopur, Sherry Bharda and Vishal Anand).
58. Noted Maestro Zubin Mehta has been named for the Tagore Award For Cultural Harmony for the year 2013 in recognition of
his outstanding contribution to cultural harmony.
59. Shalini Singh, a Deputy Editor with The Hindu, has bagged the prestigious Prem Bhatia Award for Political Reporting-2013. She
has been selected for her ‘excellent coverage of several key issues,’ particularly her ‘reporting of the telecom and Coalgate
60. Afghanistan's first and only female governor and a humanitarian worker from the Kachin minority in Myanmar, Habiba Sarabi,
is among this year's recipients of the Ramon Magsaysay Award.Sarabi was honoured for helping build a functioning local
government and pushing for education and women's rights in Afghanistan's Bamyan province despite discrimination and
61. Indian American author Jhumpa Lahiri’s The Lowland has been listed among 13 novels longlisted for the Man Booker Prize
62. Edward Snowden, the former NSA contractor who exposed the widest US global surveillance operations, was awarded German
Whistleblower Prize 2013 worth 3900 Dollars in absentia.Snowden has exposed the substantial and unsuspecting monitoring
and storage of communication data by US and other western intelligence agencies, which cannot be accepted in democratic
63. Four Indian-American Professors Kannan Soundararajan, Rajeev Alur, Salil P Vadhan and Senthil Todadri in fourth week of July
2013 won Simons Investigators Awards 2013. Apart from these, 9 other mathematicians, theoretical physicists and theoretical
computer scientists were also selected for the Simons Investigators Awards for their cutting edge research.
64. "Metro Man" E. Sreedharan has been selected for the prestigious Lokmanya Tilak award for 2013 for his outstanding
contribution to society.
65. Sarod maestro Ustad Amjad Ali Khan will be honoured with the 21st Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavna Award for promotion of
communal harmony peace and goodwill.
66. Vinod Prakash Sharma an eminent scientist won the Gujar Mal Modi Award for Science and Technology 2013. He received the
award for his contribution in the field of basic and applied research of Malaria and Vector Biology.
67. Professor of economics, conservationist and mountaineer Harshwanti Bisht was selected to receive the Sir Edmund Hillary
Mountain Legacy Medal.
23. Angelina Jolie to receive Honorary Oscar for humanitarian
24. First Sree Narayan Guru Global Secular & Peace Award 2013
presented to Shashi Tharoor
25. Vocalist Bombay Jayashri to get Indira Sivasailam endowment
medal for this year..
Italian documentary 'Holy GRA' wins Venice Golden Lion
26. Indian American Kavita Shukla won INDEX Design Award
27. British Indian billionaire brothers Srichand and Gopichand Hinduja won a Lifetime Achievement Award for their contributions
to UK's Asian community.
68. Asian Award: Indian homeopath Mukesh Batra has been honoured with Asia's "most promising leader" award at a recent
function in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) for pioneering work in healthcare, using natural medicine.
69. Bollywood legend Amitabh Bachchan was the guest of honour at a reception hosted by British Prime Minister David
Cameron’s wife, Samantha Cameron at their official residence for a charity (‘Silver Star’.) initiative for diabetes.
70. Kapil Parakh, an Indian-origin cardiologist chosen for White House fellowship programme. A Zambia University graduate,
Parakh is the director of heart failure at the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Centre and assistant professor in the
Departments of Medicine, Epidemiology, and Health Behaviour and Society.
14. BOOKS AND AUTHORS
1. “Ahmev Radha, Ahmev Krishnah” - Gulab Kothari (Chief Editor of Hindi newspaper Rajasthan Patrika)
2. An Uncertain Glory: India and its Contradictions - Jean Dreze and Amartya Sen.
3. A Brush with Life- Satish Gujral
4. A Bend in the river- V.S. Naipaul
5. God of Small things- Arundhati Rai
6. Inheritance of Loss- Kiran Desai.
7. Joseph Anton- Sulman Rushdie (Autobiography)
8. “Khushwantnama-The Lessons of My Life “ –Khushwant singh
9. Lajja- Taslima Nasrim.
10. My Unforgettable Memories-Mamata Banerjee
11. "Muslim in Indian cities”- Christophe Jaffrelot & Laurent Gayer
12. My country My Life- L.K.Advani
13. My Music My Life- Pt Ravi Shankar
14. Revolution 2020- Chetan Bhagat
15. Runs in Ruins — Sunil Gavaskar
16. Satenic versus- Salman Rushdi
17. True Colours — Adam Gilchrist
18. The Heritage of Sikhs — Harbans Singh
19. The Jewels of Happiness – Indian spiritual guru Sri Chinmoy.
20. The Things About Thugs — Tabish Nair
21. The Test of My Life'- Indian cricketer Yuvraj singh
22. “Those were the Day and then-The Life & Times of Lal Krishna Advani”-Mira Govind Advani
23. Turning Points-APJ Abdul Kalam
24. What Young India Wants – Chetan Bhagat
25. Ye Jo Hai Pakistan'- Shivendra Kumar Singh.
26. Smritiyan - Garima Sanjay
27. My Journey: Transforming Dreams into Actions - former President of India, Dr. Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam (APJ
28. How Not to Make Money -Raj Kundra, the millionaire businessman.
15. IMPORTANT ORGANIZATION AND SUMMIT
1. New Member
. United Nation – Total– 193 (Last– South Sudan)
. WTO – Total– 159 (Last - Tajikistan)
. World bank and IMF – Total– 188 (Last – South Sudan)
. European Union – Total– 28 (Last- Croatia)
1. UN Human Rights forum held in Beijing (CHINA)
2. World Economic Forum’s “summer Davos” meeting held in the north-eastern Chinese city of Dalian ( China).
3. The 7th India-Laos Joint Commission Meeting on bilateral cooperation was held in Vientiane.
4. 31st meeting of Health Ministers of WHO South-East Asia countries held in India.
5. Sixth Global Skills Summit held in New Delhi. The Theme of the Summit is “Industry Leads”. New Zealand is the country
partner this time for the Summit.
2. Nuclear security summit
. 2nd Summit 2012 – Seoul (South Korea),
. 3rd Summit 2014(Next) : Netherland
3. BRICS summit
. Country: Brazil, Russia, India, China, South-Africa.
. 4th Summit 2012: New Delhi
. 5th Summit 2013 : South Africa:
. Held in Durban from 26 to 27 March 2013 at the Durban International Convention Centre (ICC).
. PM Manmohan Singh attended the BRICS Summit from India.
. The central area of discussion was under the overarching theme, BRICS and Africa: Partnership for Development, Integration
. The possibility of setting up of a development bank and investment fund and promoting trade within this group in local
currencies are particularly encouraging and progress in finalising these.
. Brazil and China Signed the Currency Swap Agreement: BRICS Summit 2013.
4. G 8 Summit:
. 38th Summit 2012 :David camp, USA
. 39th Summit 2013: United Kingdom
. 40th Summit (next 2014): Russia
G-8 Countries: Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, Britain and the US
5. G 20 Summit:
. 7th Summit 2012 – Los Cabos, Mexico
. 8th G-20 Leader’s Summit held in St. Peters burg (Russia).
. G-20 Labour Summit held in Mosscow (Russia).
6. NAM Summit:
. 16th Non-Aligned Movement Summit 2012- Tehran(Iran)
. 17th Summit(Next)-In 2015-Caracus (Venezuela)
. 26-31 August at Attended By(India): Prime Minister
. Theme: Lasting Peace through Joint Global Governance.
. Country:120,New-Fiji, Azerbaijan
7. ASEAN Summit:
. 20th ASEAN Meeting April 2012 – Phnom penh (Cambodia).
. 21st ASEAN Summit Nov 2012 - Phnom Penh (Cambodia ).
. 22nd ASEAN Summit 2013 – Brunei
8. SCO Summit:
. 13th Summit 2013-Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan)
Attended by:Salman Khurshid(Forgien Minister)
. 12th Summit 2012-Beijing
Attended by:SM Krishna(Forgien Minister)
9. National youth Festival:
. 17th-Mangalore (Karnataka)
. 18th –Patna(12-16) January
10. NATO Summit-
2010 Summit- Lisbon (Portugal)
2012 Summit- Chicago (United States)
11. SAARC Summit:
. SAARC journalists' summit 2013- Indore.
. 3rd SAARC ministerial meet on poverty alleviation 2013 – Kathmandu (Nepal)
. 17th SAARC Summit 2011- Addu City (Maldives)
. 18th SAARC Summit 2013- Kathmandu (proposed)
12. Arab league Summit 2013 - Doha.
13. 6th IBSA Summit2013 – New Delhi
14. 10th BASIC Summit - New Delhi
15. Earth Summit(2012) : -Rio de Janeiro
16. United Nation conference on Sustanable Devlopment(2012)-
Rio de Janeiro
17. The international biodiversity meet– Hyderabad
18. UN biodiversity meet in 2014 -South Korea
19. 58th Commonwealth Parliamentarian conference (2012) held
in Colombo. Johannesburg, South Africa (2013).
20. Organization of Islamic Co-operation (OIC) summit (2013)–
21. 14th Meet of Environment Ministers of BASIC countries -
22. 13th India-Russia Annual Summit – New Delhi
23. 11th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas(2013) – Kochi(Kerala), Theme-
'Engaging diaspora: The Indian growth story'
24. 18th National Level Meeting b/w Myanmar and India (2012)–
25. 4th World Telugu Conference - Tirupati. (Inaugurated by
President Pranab Mukherje)
26. 3 day long International Buddhist Conference – Patna.
27. 11th Meeting of India-Canada Joint Working Group on Counter
Terrorism 2012 held in New Delhi and the 12th meeting of the
Joint Working Group will be held in Canada in 2013
28. United Nations Conference on Climate Change in Doha extends
the Kyoto Protocol till 2020..
29. UN Conference on Climate Change get held at Doha.
30. 14th North East Book Fair held in Guwahati. Fair is dedicated
to Poet Hiren Bhattacharya.
31. 2014 Mrs India International will be held place in Kolkata.
32. Fourth meeting of India-Mongolia Joint Committee held in New Delhi
33. 3 days Dubai World Conference on Consumer Rights (DWCCR) held at the World Trade Center in Dubai.
34. 'India Calling China Business Partnership Summit' held in China from April 7 to 12 this year.
35. The 8th India-Yemen Joint Committee Meeting for Economic, Scientific and Technical Cooperation (JCM) took place in New
36. Microfinance India Summit 2013 to be held at New Delhi.
37. 3rd SAARC ministerial meet on poverty alleviation held in Nepal on 5th April 2013
38. WTTC (World Travel and Tourism Council) Global Summit held in UAE Abu Dhabi 2013.
39. Two Day India-China Counter-Terrorism Dialogue on Afghanistan ended on 12 April 2013 in Beijing China.
40. The 8th World Chambers of Congress held at Qatar in Doha under the theme, “Opportunities for all”.
41. 8thIndia-Seychelles Joint Commission Meet concluded at New Delhi
42. Indonesia moves Miss World final to Bali after protests.
43. The 63rd edition of the Miss World pageant opened in Indonesia
44. Foreign Minister of Nicaragua,Samuel Santos Lopez visited India, to participate in the India-SICA (Central American
Integration System) Foreign Ministers' meeting.
45. 3rd India-Republic of Korea Foreign Policy and Security Dialogue held in Seoul. 4th India-ROK Foreign Policy and Security
Dialogue will be held at New Delhi at a mutually convenient time in 2014.
16. IMPORTANT GOVERNMENT SCHEMES
1. BHARAT NIRMAN:
. It was implemented and extended in three phases i.e., from (2005 - 2009), (2009 - 2012), (2012- 2014)
. It is centrally sponsored scheme for the rural development of India started in September 2005.
. There are 6 objectives in this scheme
a) To provide all weather road connectivity to the village which have more than 1000 population in plain areas and 500
population in hilly areas.
b) To bring 10 million hectares of land under irrigation facility and to make 1.4 million hectares of additional land for arable land
(for the use of agriculture).
c) To provide clean drinking water to all villages by the end of 2012 under Rajiv Gandhi payjal yojana.
d) To electrify 1, 76,000 villages by the end of 2012 under Rajiv Gandhi Vidyutikaran yojna.
e) To construct Pakka houses for BPL house- holds under Indira Awas Yojana (Now from April 1st 2013 cash assistance Rs. 70000
for plain areas and Rs. 75000 for hilly areas) previously it was Rs. 40000 for plain areas and Rs. 45000 for hilly areas.
f) To provide telephone connectivity to all villages and all BPL holders by 2012.
g) Note: All these objectives are extended till 2014.
2. JNNURM: Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission
. It was implemented and extended in two phases i.e., (2005 - 2012), (2012 - 2014)
. Started in the year 2005 to make million plus cities squatter (Slam area) free.
. There are 2 components
a) To construct pakka houses for urban poor dwelling in squatter under Rajiv Awas yojana.
b) To make transportation system faster and greener.
3. NRHM: National Rural Health Mission
. It was started on 12th April 2005 to enhance the health facilities in rural areas.
. The appointment of ASHA workers (Accredited social health activist) in Angonwadi Kendra to provide basic information on
health and hygiene conditions as well as to guide people regarding conservation of water.
4. MGNREGA: Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act
. It was on started on 2nd Feb 2006 to provide minimum 150 days from 1st April 2013 (previously its is 100 days) of
employment to BPL house hold.
. This scheme is both for Urban and Rural areas.
. The old name of this scheme is NREGA and it was changed to MGNREGA on 2nd Oct 2009.
. The wages under the scheme is fixed on the basis of CPI-AL (Consumer Price Index for Agricultural Labourers) which is
calculated by the state government on the basis of their Per capita Income.
5. UIDAI: Unique Identification Authority of India.
. It was started in the year 2010 to provide multipurpose national identity card (MNIC) to every citizen aged above 5 years.
. Its name has been changed to Aadhar.
. Its model state was Karnataka (started)
. The retinal identification is taken from the age group of 14 and above.
. Scheme has 7 components like address, PAN no., Passport no., retinal identity etc, It consists of 12 digit number.
. Chairman: Nandan Nilkani
6. NFSM: National Food Security Mission
. This scheme is to reduce the poverty in India under national social assistance programme.
. Under Public Distribution System (PDS), government will provide rice @ Rs. 3/kg, wheat @ Rs. 2/kg to the BPL households.
7. IGNOAPS: Indira Gandhi National Old age Pension Scheme
. This Scheme is for the people who aged above 65 years.
. The amount of Rs. 400 per month (Central govt + State govt = Rs. 200 + Rs. 200) will be provided by both Central government
and State government who aged between 65 – 80 years.
. Rs. 500 per month (Central govt + State govt = Rs. 250 + Rs. 250) for the people who aged more than 80 years.
8. IGNWPS: Indira Gandhi National Widow Pension Scheme
. The beneficiary is in between age group of 40-64 years in this scheme.
. Assistance of Rs. 400 per month (Central govt + State govt = Rs. 200 + Rs. 200) will be given to particular person.
9. NFBS: National Family Benefit Scheme
. Under this scheme a grant of Rs. 10000 is given in case of natural and accidental death of the primarily breadwinner of the
family (he/she) of BPL households.
. Under this scheme 10 kg of food grains are provided to BPL households free of cost every month.
. But for this scheme the particular beneficiary shouldn’t be registered with IGNOAPS.
17. ORGANISATIONS & THEIR HEAD
Raghuram Govinda Rajan
Naina Lal Kidwai
Saiyad Ashif Ibrahim
Gen. Bikram Singh
Air Chief Marshal N A K
Admiral D.K. Joshi
Dr. K. Radhakrishnan
Krishna kumar Natrajan
Jim Yong Kim
Jim Yong cai
National Stock Exchange
Bombay Stock Exchange
National Security Council
National Security Advisor
Chief Economic Advisor
Attorney General of India
PM Economic Advisor
Shashi Kant Sharma
Chief Election Commissionor
National Commission for
Press Council of India
Chief Economic advisor and
Vice President of IMF
Confederation of Indian
18. IMPORTANT COMMITTEES
1. Parthasarathi Shome. – for Tax Administration Reform Commission (TARC), Suggest a system to enforce better tax compliance
2. B. Shivraman Committee - Nabard
3. Suma Verma Committee - to update, and revise the Banking Ombudsman Scheme, 2006
4. Damodran Committee: on improvement of customer services in banks
5. Shri M. Narasimham Committee: on Banking Sector Reforms
6. Shri Raghuram Rajan Committee: on Financial Sector Reforms,
7. Shri B. Mahapatra Committee: to review the existing prudential guidelines on restructuring of advances by banks/financial
8. Shri Aditya Puri Committee: Dissemination of Credit Information
9. Shri K.U.B. Rao Committee: recommended aligning gold import regulations
10. K M Chandrasekhar committee : for rationalization of foreign investment norms
11. Shri Pulak Kumar Sinha Committee: to study the feasibility of Aadhaar as an additional factor for authentication of card present
12. Mukul Mudgal Committee: looking into US giant Walmart's lobbying activities to enter India
13. MBN Rao Committee: to prepare the blueprint of India’s first women’s bank
14. Arvind Mayaram Committee –for giving clear definitions to Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and Foreign Institutional
15. Committee Set Up On Uttarakhand Floods: The committee will be headed by AK Ganju (Chairman, Ganga Flood
Control Commission, Patna)
16. JS Mathur committee : to revise Newspaper Advertisement Rates.
17. K. Ratna Prabha : Committee on indecent depiction of women in media
18. Mukul Mudgal Committee: looking into US giant Walmart's lobbying activities to enter India
19. Mukul Mudgal Committee: to look at process of film clearance
20. MBN Rao Committee: to prepare the blueprint of India’s first women’s bank
21. SK Srivastava Committee: to formulate a policy on public-private partnership model to raise coal output
22. K M Chandrasekhar Committee – for rationalization of foreign investment norms
23. Arvind Mayaram Committee –for giving clear definitions to Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and Foreign Institutional
24. Janakiraman Committee - To investigate the security transactions of the bank
25. MS Ahluwalia committee - to evaluate aspects related to set up of Nalanda University
26. Sitakant Mahapatra committee - for inclusion of Bhojpuri language in eighth schedule of constitution
27. N R Narayana Murthy committee - for evaluation of corporate sector participation in Higher Education.
28. C Rangarajan committee - for poverty scale estimates in the country
29. MB Shah committee - for inspection of illegal mining activities
30. N Rangachary committee - to examine taxation policies for I.T. sector
31. Parthasarathi Shome committee - implementation of GAAR (General Anti Avoidance Rule)
32. Deepak Parekh committee – for Financing Infrastructure sector
33. Naresh Chandra committee - 14 member task force on security issues
34. Bhandari Committee - Reconstruction of RRBs
35. RS Gujral Committee - suggest measures to boost MSME exports.
19. DEFENCE & TECHNOLOGY
1. Missiles in use of Indian Army:
a) Prithvi I - 150km
b) Prithvi II - 350km
c) Prithvi III - 350km - 600km
d) Agni I - 700km -1250km
e) Agni II - 2000km -3500km
f) Agni III - 3500km -5000km
g) Agni IV - 3000km -4000km (test fired only)
h) Agni V - 5500km -5800km
i) Agni VI - 8000km -3500km
j) Akash- 30 km
2. NASA Spacecraft "Voyager 1" Drifted Into Unknown Region of the Space
3. China became the World's Fifth-Largest Arms Exporter.
4. Indian Navy successfully test-fired the 290-km range Brahmos Supersonic Cruise Missile, capable of carrying a conventional
warhead of 300 kg, from a warship off the Goa coast.
5. Pakistan test fired cruise missile Babur with a range of 700km
6. Iran has tested Fateh 110 missiles (Range - 300 km).
7. Naval Offshore Patrol Vessel INS Saryu inducted into Indian Navy.
8. Cochin Shipyard launched Aadesh the First Fast Patrol Vessel for Coast Guard..
9. K-5 ballistic missile(strike range around 1500 kms) successfully test fired from an underwater platform in Bay of Bengal.
10. Indian Army gets its first indigenously-made Rudra attack chopper.
11. ISRO has launched Indo-French satellite 'SARAL'(410-kg) with the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle PSLV-C20
from Sriharikota. It will support in marine meteorology and sea state forecasting, operational oceanography, seasonal
forecasting, climate monitoring, ocean, earth system and climate research.
12. "EKUVERIN 2012" an India-Maldives joint military training exercise organized in Belgaum.
13. ISRO launches its 100th space program named PSLV C21 from Sriharikota (Andhra Pradesh)
14. US and South Korea did Joint Annual Military Drills called Key Resolve on 11 March 2013. apart from Key Resolve,
another joint drill called Foal Eagle was on its way since the starting of March 2013.
15. Nepal & United States Conducted joint Military Exercises called Shanti Prayas-2 or Peace Initiatives in Panchkhal, 50 km
east of Kathmandu from 25 March 2013 to 7 April 2013, India also participated in it.
16. Pakistan successfully test-fired the nuclear-capable Hatf-IV ballistic missile of range of 900 km.
17. The medium range nuclear capable surface-to-surface 20-metre long missile Agni-II was successfully test-fired with a
strike range of more than 2,000 km from the Wheeler Island off Odisha coast. It has a launch weight of 17 tonnes and can carry
a payload of 1,000 kg over a distance of 2,000 km.
18. Pakistan Successfully Test-Fired Nuclear-Capable Hatf-IV Ballistic Missile on 10 April 2013. The missile has a range of 900
km Strategic Plans Division chief Lt Gen (retired) Khalid Ahmed Kidwai witnessed the launch of Hatf-IV missile.
19. Indo-Russian INDRA 2013 military exercise is scheduled to take place in October 2013 at Mahajan field firing range of
20. French Nuclear of Areva Reactors will be 1st Tested in China before supplying the production to Jaitapur in Maharashtra.
21. Russia launched European telecom satellite SES-6 from Kazakhstan's Baikonur space centre.
22. Warfare aircraft MiG-29K fighter planes (Black Panther squadron) commissioned into Navy.
23. China launches a communications satellite, Zhongxing-11
24. Federal Space Agency Roscosmos, Russia launched the world’s only returnable satellite called Bion-M1 on 20 April 2013.
25. Indian National Defence University for training and research in military studies will be set up in Gurgaon.
26. India's first International regional navigational satellite IRNSS -1A launched from Satish Dhawan Space centre.
27. 50,000 crore deal for supplying 126 Rafale combat aircraft Signed b/w India and French.The 126 medium-multirole
combat aircraft deal is the biggest focus of the two sides at the moment.
28. India's Multi Barrel Rocket Launcher System , the PINAKA , developed by DRDO. Pinaka can fire a salvo of 12 rockets in 44
seconds from a launcher with a strike range of 40 km.
29. India launched its first indigenous aircraft carrier INS Vikrant, joining the elite club of nations with the capability of
designing and building a warship of this size and capability.
30. The Indian space agency called off the launch of its heavy rocket geosynchronous satellite launch vehicle (GSLV-D5) due to
leak in the second-stage engine.
31. Japan unveiled “Izumo”, its biggest warship since World War II amid tensions with China following maritime skirmishes
between the two nations over disputed islands.The ship is nearly 250 meters (820 feet) long, is designed to carry up to 14
32. India’s first defence satellite GSAT-7 launched from Kourou spaceport in French Guiana on Friday. GSAT-7 is India’s first
dedicated spacecraft for Defence applications.
33. China to launch 3rd lunar (Chang’e-3) mission this year
34. DHRUVA-3, a high performance computing system developed by Indian defence scientists. DHRUVA-3, developed by
ANURAG, one of the labs under the Defence Research and Development Organisation, will be useful in computational fluid
dynamics design for aircraft and air-borne systems, simulation of complex systems and stress analysis of materials.
35. India’s Chandrayaan helps NASA detect water on Moon. . Using data collected by India’s Chandrayaan mission, NASA has
detected magmatic water locked under the surface of the Moon.
36. Boeing C-17 Globemaster III inducted into the Indian Air Force (IAF) is a large, versatile military transport aircraft
capable of carrying heavy, oversize loads long distances and landing on rough and unprepared surfaces.
37. Wipro in partnership with Qatar Airways announced the launch of a range of information technology products for the
20. ORGANIZATIONS % HEADQUARTERS
UNO (United Nations Org)
UNCTAD (United Nations Conference
on Trade & Development)
WHO (World Health Org)
ILO (International Labour Org)
WTO (World Meteorological Org)
World Intellectual Property Org
International Standards Org.
IMF (International Monetary Fund)
UNESCO (United Nations Educational
Scientific and Cultural Org)
OECD (Org. for Economic Cooperation
UNIDO (United Nations Industrial Dev.
IAEA (International Atomic Energy
OPEC (Organization of Petroleum
Commonwealth of Nations
IMO (International Maritime
ICJ (International Court of Justice)
FAO (Food and Agricultural
NATO (North Atlantic Treaty
SAARC (South Asian Association for
ASEAN (Association of South East
APEC (Asia Pacific Economic Forum)
Organization of Islamic Cooperation
21. IMPORTANT DATES & DAYS:
National Youth day (Birthday of Vivekananda).
National Girl Child Day.
National tourism day/ Voters day
National Martyrs day & World anti Leprosy Day
World Cancer Day.
National science day
International women day
World Kidney day
World Consumer rights day , (the theme for 2013 is, ‘Consumer Justice
World Sparrow Day & International Happiness Day.
World Forestry day
World water day (For the year 2013, the theme is ‘Water
World Meteorological day
World T.B. day
World Autism Awareness Day
World Health day
Civil service day
World Earth day
World Books day
International Labour day
National Technology day
Anti Terrorism day (Death day of Rajiv Gandhi)
Anti Tobacco day (No smoking day)
World Environment day
World population day
International youth day
National Sports day (Birthday of Dhyan Chand)
World Literacy day
International Non-violence day
Air force day
World post day
United nation day
National law day
Human Rights day
National consumers day & National Energy Conservation Day.
1. World health day - 7 April 2013, UNDER the theme was high blood pressure for this year.
2. 66th Himachal Day celebrated on 15 April 2013 at Dhalpur Ground, Kullu , Himachal Pradesh came into existence on 15 April
1948 with the merger of 30 princely states.
3. World Hemophilia Day observed on 17th April.
4. World Heritage Day observed on the 18th April , it is Also known as "International Monuments and Sites Day".
The International Council of Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) has decided a theme "Heritage in Education" and its "
Expressions in Diverse Geo-cultural Contexts" for World Heritage Day 2013.
5. Earth Day being celebrated on 22 April. This year's theme is "the face of climate change".
6. World Asthma day being observed 7 may under the theme for this year is "You Can Control Your Asthma."
7. Anti Terrorism Day Observed on 21 may.
8. World Hypertension Dayon 17 may.
9. National Technology Day is being observed on 11 may.
10. World Day against Child Labour observed 12 June under the theme is - "No to Child Labour in Domestic Work".
11. World Music Day observed on 21 June. It is also called Fête de la Musique.
12. World Refugee Day marked on 20th June under the theme “Take One Minute to Support a Family Forced to Flee”.
13. 7th Statistics Day observed on 29th june under the theme “Labour & Employment Statistics”.
14. World Malaria Day being observed on 25th April. The global campaign theme for 2013 and the coming years is Invest in the
future Defeat malaria as given by the World Health Organization.
15. World Intellectual Property Day is being observed 26 April, under thr theme “Creativity - The Next Generation”
16. International Dance Day celebrated on 29thApril. The aim of the “International Dance Day Message” is to revel in the
universality of this art form that crosses all political, cultural and ethnic barriers.
17. Today is International Museum Day on 18th may under the theme for this year “Museum Memory + Creativity = Social
18. World Oceans Day observed 8th june under the theme for this year and 2014 is:Together we have the power to protect the
19. World Population Day that seeks to raise awareness about global population issues, is an annual event observed on 11th July.
The theme for 2013 is Adolescent pregnancy with an aspiration of safe childbirth and that each pregnancy is wanted.
20. A special meeting of the UN General Assembly will mark the Nelson Mandela International Day on 18th July.
21. UN Declared 19 November as World Toilet Day
22. UN Declared 12 July as World Malala Day
23. Kargil Vijay Diwas observes on 26th July in honour of the Kargil War's Heroes.
24. World Tiger Day observed on 29th July
25. World Hepatitis Day was observed across the world on 28 July 2013.The theme for the year 2013 is This is Hepatitis, Know it,
26. August 9 is the 71st anniversary of the Quit India Movement, which Mahatma Gandhi called the biggest struggle of his life. In
August 1942, Gandhiji launched the Quit India Movement
(“Bharat Chhodo Andolan”).
27. International Youth Day is being observed today across the
globe on 12th august.The theme this year is-- Youth Migration:
Moving Development Forward.
28. World Humanitarian Day is observed on the 19th of August
every year to recognise those people who have lost their lives working for humanitarian causes.The theme for this year is - The
World Needs More.
29. The French government announced 19 August as the World Photography Day.
30. Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavana Divas is being observed today on the 20th August.
31. April 6 declared International Sports Day.
32. World No-Tobacco Day observed on 31st May under the theme is "Ban tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship" for
33. World Environment Day being observed 5 June under the theme “Think.Eat.Save.” for this year.
22. ABBREVIATION IN NEWS
1. BSBDA - Basic Savings Bank Deposit Account
2. FCNR(B) - Foreign Currency Non-Resident Bank
3. TARC - Tax Administration Reform Commission
4. ITEs: Intra-Group Transactions and Exposures
5. LCR: Liquidity Coverage Ratio
6. NSFR: Net Stable Funding Ratio
7. LRMT: Liquidity risk monitoring tools
8. CBS: Core Banking Solution
9. DEAF: Depositor Education and Awareness Fund
10. CRAR: Capital to Risk-weighted Assets Ratio
11. External Commercial Borrowings (ECB)
12. SWIFT: Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication
13. FSLRC: Financial Sector Legislative Reforms Commission
14. MIBOR: Mumbai Inter-Bank Offer Rate
15. LIBOR: London Inter-Bank Offer Rate
16. LAF – Liquidity Adjustment Facility
17. GIRO - Government Internal Revenue Order
18. EEFC - Exchange Earner's Foreign Currency
19. FRBMA: Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management Act
20. ALM- Asset Liability Management
21. AMFI- Association of Mutual Fund in India.
22. TIEA – Tax Information exchange Agreement
23. CAR – Cash Adequacy Ratio
24. CCEA – Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs
25. CECA - Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement
26. CEPA – Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement
27. DTAA – Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement
28. DTC – Direct Tax Code
29. ECBs - External Commercial Borrowings
30. EEFC - Exchange Earner's Foreign Currency
31. EFSF – European Financial Stability Facility
32. FEMA- Foreign Exchange Management Act
33. FII – Foreign Institutional Investor.
34. FINO- Financial Inclusion Network Operation
35. FIPB – Foreign Investment Promotion board
36. FSLRC – Financial Sector Legislative Reforms Commission
37. FTA- Free trade agreement
38. GAAR - General anti avoidance rule
39. GSLV - Geo-Synchronous Launch Vehicle
40. MSF-Marginal Standing Facility
41. NBFC-Non Banking Finance Companies
42. NCTC - National Counter-Terrorism Centre
43. NEFT - National Electronic Funds Transfer
44. NSG – Nuclear Suppliers Group
45. PPP – Public Private Partnership & Purchasing Power parity
46. PSLV – Polar Satellite Launch vehicle
47. RTGS - Real Time Gross Settlement
48. SLR-Statutory Liquidity Ratio
49. TAPI - Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India.
50. QFI -Qualified Foreign Investors
51. VVPAT -'Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail'
52. Tax Information Exchange Agreement (TIEA)